This article will help you set up your first Ledger Cardano (ADA) account.
You can learn more about the Cardano project here.
Sending ADA to Binance and Kraken exchanges
- The Cardano network currently provides two different address types: Byron (starts with DdzFF or Ae2) and Shelley (starts with addr1). More on this here.
- Ledger Live does not support sending to Byron addresses yet.
Binance and Kraken exchanges use Byron deposit wallets. As a result, you will not be able to send your ADA to these exchanges via Ledger Live. Ledger Live will return a This is not a valid address error.
- We're working on an update to support those wallets as soon as possible.
- In the meantime, please send your transaction via YOROI as explained here.
- Download and install the latest version of Ledger Live.
- Ledger Nano S / Nano S Plus / Nano X cihazınızın donanım yazılımını güncelleyin.
- Make sure your Cardano (ADA) is up to date.
- Connect and configure your device with Ledger Live.
All set? Great, let’s dive in.
Install Cardano (ADA) on your Ledger device
- In Ledger Live, navigate to Manager.
- Connect your device and unlock it.
- Confirm that you allow Manager to access your device. You can do that by clicking both buttons of your device simultaneously.
- Go back to Ledger Live. In Manager, head over to App catalog and search for Cardano (ADA).
- Click Install.
Cardano is installed on your Ledger device. Now let’s add it to Ledger Live.
Add Cardano (ADA) account to Ledger Live
- In the left sidebar menu, go to Accounts.
- Click Add account.
- Choose Cardano from the drop-down list.
- Click Continue.
- Connect your device to Ledger Live and unlock it.
- Open the Cardano app on your device.
- Click Add account.
That’s it, the Cardano account is added to Portfolio.
- In the left sidebar menu, click Receive.
- In the drop-down list, select Cardano and click Continue.
- Connect your Ledger device to Ledger Live Desktop and unlock it.
- Open the Cardano app on your device and press both buttons simultaneously to continue. You should see a message stating Application is ready.
- The address will be displayed on your device and in Ledger Live.
- Verify that the address shown on your device matches the address displayed in Ledger Live.
- If they match, approve the address on your device—press the right button on your device until you see Approve. Click both buttons simultaneously for approval.
- Copy the address and share it with the sender. Ensure that the address does not change after you copy/paste it.
You can send Cardano from your account, using a Ledger device to verify and approve transactions.
Pro tip: Send a small amount first and verify that the transaction was received before sending larger amounts. If you’re unsure whether a transaction was successful, check back in a few minutes.
Note: To submit transactions, a Cardano account must have a minimum balance of 1 ADA, not including the network fees. That means the absolute minimum transaction is 1 ADA + fees.
Send Cardano (ADA) with Ledger Live
- In the left sidebar menu, go to Accounts and click Cardano.
- You’ll see that you can send and receive ADA. Click Send.
- Enter the recipient address. Double-check the address and click Continue.
- Enter the amount you want to send.
- Check the transaction summary—Amount, Network fees, and Total to debit—and click Continue.
- Confirm and approve the transaction on your Ledger device—press both buttons simultaneously to Approve. Press both buttons simultaneously to Accept and send the transaction.
The transaction is sent. Your account balance will be updated when the blockchain confirms the transaction.
Note: If you hold Cardano tokens or NFTs, some of your ADA will be bonded to these tokens. This happens because the Cardano network requires you to lock away some ADA for every token and NFT your wallet holds. The locked ADA will still appear in the total balance of your account. However, when transferring ADA to another address, you won’t be able to spend bonded ADA.