The Polygon (MATIC) account you created using Metamask and your Ledger Ethereum app or Polygon app might not appear in Ledger Live.
When adding your Ledger Polygon account to Metamask, you were prompted to choose from a list of accounts similar to the one shown below.
Each account on this list had an index number starting from number 1.
If you did not select the top account (index number 1) as your main Polygon account, your account will likely be hidden in Ledger Live.
Why is that?
Unlike Metamask, Ledger Live detects accounts sequentially and always starts from index number 1. More on this here.
Once an unused account has been detected, Ledger Live will stop detecting additional accounts and display the unused account.
As a result, any account that is indexed after an unused account will not show in Ledger Live.
How to restore the hidden account in Ledger Live?
This can be solved by sending a very small amount of MATIC to every account whose index number is lower than the index of the hidden Polygon account.
In the example below, the hidden Polygon account is highlighted in red. In order to make this account appear in Ledger Live, this user would need to send MATIC to the account highlighted in blue.
Here are all the steps:
- Plug your Ledger device into your computer.
- On your device, open the Polygon (MATIC) app.
Open Metamask and connect Metamask to the Polygon network using this tutorial.
Connect your Ledger device to Metamask using this tutorial.
A list of Ledger Polygon accounts appears.
- Select and unlock the top (empty) account on the list.
- Send a small balance of MATIC to that account.
- Repeat for every account with a lower index number than the Polygon account you're looking for.
- Once done, close Metamask and open Ledger Live.
- Navigate to the Accounts tab, select +Add account and select a Polygon (MATIC) account as described in this article.
All the Polygon accounts containing a MATIC balance will appear.
- Select the account you wish to add to Ledger Live and click Continue to finalize the process of adding the account.
How much MATIC should I send?
- We recommend sending the minimum possible amount of MATIC.
- A single transaction is sufficient.