Things to know
- A Ledger device keeps your private keys offline.
- NFTs live on the blockchain. When you transfer your NFT from MetaMask to a Ledger device, all you're doing is just transferring the ownership of that NFT to the newly generated public wallet address.
- Don't import your 12-word MetaMask Secret Recovery Phrase to a Ledger Nano device. Create the new Secret Recovery Phrase with your device.
Minted a Samsung MX1 Genesis NFT using a wallet linked to your Google account? Once you have your NFT, you need to decide what kind of wallet you want to use to store it.
Crypto wallets store your assets and allow you to manage them. The wallet you’re using can impact how secure your assets are and also how much control you have over them.
The wallets can be divided into two major categories: custodial and non-custodial. With a non-custodial wallet, you have sole control of your private keys, which in turn control your crypto and prove the assets are yours. With a custodial wallet, another party controls your private keys.
There are several types of non-custodial wallets, including software and hardware wallets.
Software wallets such as MetaMask, MyEtherWallet, Phantom, and Keplr, store the private keys to your crypto on internet-connected platforms, while hardware wallets keep them offline—disconnected from the internet. Software wallets have multiple flaws that make them unsafe to use for long-term storage of crypto assets.
The NFT you minted using your Google account was stored in a custodial wallet. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you export your NFT to a non-custodial and secure crypto wallet.
In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to export your Samsung MX1 Genesis/ART NFT to MetaMask (software wallet) and then transfer it to a Ledger Nano device (hardware wallet).
Export your NFT from a wallet created using your Google account wallet to MetaMask
The steps are as follows:
- Install and set up MetaMask mobile app.
- Navigate to nft.samsung.de
- Click Connect Wallet in the upper right corner to log in. A popup window will appear.
- Click Settings.
- Click Export Wallet. A QR code and a link to copy the private key will appear.
- In the MetaMask mobile app, click the QR code icon in the upper right corner.
- Scan the QR code displayed on the website.
- The message Do you want to import this account will appear.
- Tap Yes to confirm. You’ll see the message stating Account successfully imported.
If you haven’t set up your Ledger Nano device yet, here is the step-by-step guide:
Now is the time to transfer your NFT from MetaMask to a Ledger Nano device.
To transfer your NFT from MetaMask to a Ledger wallet, you need to have some ETH deposited in your account to cover gas fees. Here is a detailed article by MetaMask that explains how to buy ETH and fund your account → How to buy crypto in MetaMask
And here's a step-by-step guide to transferring your NFT → How to transfer your Ethereum NFTs from MetaMask to a Ledger account
You’ve got this.
Questions? Reach out to Ledger Support. We’re here for you.