This article explains how to perform OS update on a new and uninitialized Ledger Nano X and Ledger Nano S Plus—without going through the onboarding process, setting a PIN code or generating a Secret Recovery Phrase.
When you go through this process, you will also carry out a genuine check of your Ledger device.
Before you perform an OS update on your new/uninitialized Ledger device, you’ll have to enable the Recovery mode.
The Recovery mode allows you to access the device’s dashboard and perform an OS update without having to go through the onboarding process.
If you need to perform several OS updates to fetch the latest version, follow the steps in this article for each version until you reach the latest one.
Updating OS to the latest version
Since you didn’t perform the onboarding process with your Ledger device, you don’t have a Secret Recovery Phrase or the PIN code. However, during the update:
- You can safely tick the box to confirm that you have your Secret Recovery Phrase available.
- Ledger Live app will ask you to enter your PIN code. This step doesn't require any action from you.
- Your Ledger device will automatically reset between the different update phases.
The steps are as follows:
- Press and hold down the left button of your Ledger device.
- Connect the device to your computer using a USB cable while holding down the left button. You can also use Android and a USB OTG cable kit.
- Keep holding the left button down until the Boot menu appears.
- Use the right button to navigate to Recovery mode.
- Press both buttons simultaneously to enable Recovery mode.
Now you can access the dashboard and perform an OS update:
- Navigate to My Ledger in the Ledger Live app. A notification banner will be displayed if an update is available.
- Follow the instructions on the Ledger Live app and your Ledger device to perform the update.
Check out these articles for detailed instructions: