This article describes how to troubleshoot failed Tether USD (USDT) and token transactions on Tron.
- Tron's latest governance proposal has resulted in an increase in the price of energy.
- Tron tokens transactions in Ledger Live might fail and return an OUT_OF_ENERGY error.
- The fee limit was increased to 50 TRX in Ledger Live Desktop 2.53.1. Make sure to update Ledger Live to avoid errors.
- Make sure you have at least 50 TRX on your available balance to pay for network fees.
- For Ledger Live mobile users, make sure to update to the latest version of Ledger Live mobile. Learn more.
Your transaction fails and returns a FAILED -OUT OF ENERGY> error message on TronScan.
Why is this happening?
Sending tokens on Tron requires burning energy. Your energy balance shows in your Ledger Tron account.
Small amounts of energy are distributed daily to all activated Tron accounts but additional energy can also be acquired by freezing TRX. More on this here.
If your Ledger Tron account doesn't have enough energy to cover the transaction cost to move your tokens, TRX will be burned instead to generate additional energy.
If not enough TRX is available in your wallet at this point, the transaction will run out of energy and fail.
Recently, a Tron governance proposal increased the price of energy. This means that more TRX needs to be burned by your account in order to purchase the energy to move your tokens.
Ledger Live currently limits the amount of TRX that can be burned which, in some cases, is not enough to generate enough energy and will lead the transaction to fail and return an OUT_OF_ENERGY error.
- The fee limit was increased to 30 TRX in Ledger Live Desktop 2.53.1 version. Make sure to update Ledger Live to avoid errors.
- Make sure you have at least 30 TRX to pay for network fees.
- For Ledger Live Mobile users, there is no fix at the moment. Please use Ledger Live Desktop or TronLink with your Ledger device and phone to transfer your tokens.