This article describes how to create your first Aptos (APT) account with your Ledger device and Petra wallet.
You can learn more about Petra here.
Before you start
- Download and install the latest version of Ledger live via this link.
- Make sure your Ledger device runs the latest firmware. Learn more.
- Install the Chrome browser on your computer.
Install the Aptos app on your Ledger device
- Connect your Ledger device to your computer and unlock it.
- Open Ledger Live, navigate to Settings > Experimental features and activate Developer mode.
- Navigate to My Ledger, search for Aptos in the App catalog and install it.
Ledger Live displays Installed. You're done.
Create a Ledger Aptos account via the Petra app
- Unlock your Ledger device.
- Using the buttons, navigate to the Aptos app and open it.
Your Ledger display: Pending Ledger review.
- Press both buttons simultaneously to open the app.
Your Ledger displays: Aptos is ready.
- Open the Chrome browser, navigate to https://petra.app/ and click Download > Add to Chrome.
- Select Create New Wallet.
- Choose and Confirm a password then agree to the Terms of Service and click Continue.
- Copy the 12-word recovery phrase that is displayed on your screen then click Continue.
This 12-word recovery phrase only secures a standalone Aptos account that is not linked to your Ledger. Once you're done creating this standalone account, this tutorial will help you create a Ledger Aptos account secured by your 24-word recovery phrase. It's crucial to keep your 24-word recovery phrase secret. Learn more.
- Type the 12-word recovery phrase you've just created into the app then click Continue > Done.
It's safe to type your 12-word recovery phrase because it's not linked to your Ledger device. However, you should never type your Ledger 24-word recovery phrase into any apps. Learn why.
- Pin the Petra app to your taskbar then open it.
- Go to Settings.
- Click Add Account > Import from Ledger.
- Click Pair then select your Ledger device and click Connect.
- Select an account then click Add account.
- Return to the extension to find your Ledger account then select it.
- Go to the Settings.
- Rename the account to something more informative such as My Ledger Account.
- Click Save.
You can now copy the address and use it to send Aptos (APT) coins to your Ledger account.