This article describes how to create your first Aptos (APT) account with your Ledger device. Learn more about how to manage crypto assets with your Ledger device here.
Before you start
- Download and install the latest version of Ledger live via this link.
- Make sure your Ledger device runs the latest firmware. Learn more.
- Install the Chrome browser on your computer.
Install the Aptos app on your Ledger device
- Connect your Ledger device to your computer and unlock it.
- Navigate to My Ledger, search for Aptos in the App catalog and install it.
Ledger Live displays Installed. You're done.
Connect your Ledger to Aptos network
- Unlock your Ledger device.
- Using the buttons, navigate to the Aptos app and open it.
Your Ledger display: Pending Ledger review.
- Press both buttons simultaneously to open the app.
Your Ledger displays: Aptos is ready.
- Open the Chrome browser, navigate to https://petra.app/ and click Download > Add to Chrome.
- Select Create New Wallet.
- Choose and Confirm a password then agree to the Terms of Service and click Continue.
- Copy the 12-word recovery phrase that is displayed on your screen then click Continue.
This 12-word recovery phrase only secures a standalone Aptos account that is not linked to your Ledger. Once you're done creating this standalone account, this tutorial will help you create a Ledger Aptos account secured by your 24-word recovery phrase. It's crucial to keep your 24-word recovery phrase secret. Learn more.
- Type the 12-word recovery phrase you've just created into the app then click Continue > Done.
It's safe to type your 12-word recovery phrase because it's not linked to your Ledger device. However, you should never type your Ledger 24-word recovery phrase into any apps. Learn why.
- Pin the Petra app to your taskbar then open it.
- Go to Settings.
- Click Add Account > Import from Ledger.
- Click Pair then select your Ledger device and click Connect.
- Select an account then click Add account.
- Return to the extension to find your Ledger account then select it.
- Go to the Settings.
- Rename the account to something more informative such as My Ledger Account.
- Click Save.
You can now copy the address and use it to send Aptos (APT) coins to your Ledger account.
- Follow this link to add the Pontem Wallet extension to your browser.
- Select Create Wallet.
- Create and confirm your password then click Create.
- Click Finish.
- To connect your Ledger, navigate to Settings and select Connect Hardware Wallet.
- On your Ledger device, press both buttons simultaneously to open the Aptos app.
The screen displays Aptos is ready.
- Select Continue.
- Select your device and click Connect.
- Select an account and click Continue.
- Use the right button to review the address on your device
- Scroll through until your device displays Approve. If all looks good, use both buttons to confirm the address on your device.
- Click Done.
- Finally, make sure you navigate back to your Ledger account via the Settings.
Your Ledger account appears. You can copy your Ledger Aptos address and use it to receive APT funds.