This tutorial describes how to access your Ledger Fantom (FTM) account via MetaMask.
Before you start
- Make sure to update Ledger Live to the latest version via this link.
- Open Ledger Live and connect your Ledger device to My Ledger to ensure that your Ledger device is running the latest firmware version.
- Ensure that the latest version of the Ethereum (ETH) app is installed on your Ledger device.
- Once you're all done, close Ledger Live as it can conflict with Metamask.
Can I use the Fantom (FTM) app instead of the Ethereum (ETH) app?
- The Fantom (FTM) app is an experimental feature that is still pending review by the Ledger team.
- Using the app is safe but you might encounter some minor UI bugs.
- Once such bug prevents Metamask from completing transactions created with the Ledger Fantom (FTM) app.
- A fix will be deployed as soon a possible, in the meantime please use the Ethereum (ETH) app with Metamask.
Accessing your Ledger Fantom (FTM) account via MetaMask.
- Download and install the MetaMask extension in your browser by following these steps.
- Open MetaMask and create a standalone MetaMask account as shown in this video.
In the next steps, you will add a second account to MetaMask: your Fantom account.
- Once you're all set up, open MetaMask in your browser, click on the three dots icon, and select Expand view.
MetaMask opens in a tab that is easier to navigate.
- Connect Metamask to the Fantom Opera network by following these steps.
Use the RPC data below to add Fantom Opera to Metamask:
Network Name: Fantom Opera
New RPC URL: https://rpc.ftm.tools/
Chain ID: 250
Currency Symbol: FTM
Block Explorer URL: https://ftmscan.com/
Metamask now displays an FTM balance instead of an ETH balance.
- Plug your Ledger device into your computer and open the Ethereum app on your device by navigating to the Ethereum icon and pressing both buttons simultaneously.
Your Ledger device displays Application is ready.
- In MetaMask, click the round colored icon, select Connect Hardware Wallet > Ledger, and click Continue.
After a brief moment, a list of account addresses appears.
- Select an account by ticking the box. Then click Unlock.
Your Fantom (FTM) account and FTM balance appear in MetaMask.