This tutorial describes how to access your Ledger Polygon (MATIC) account via MetaMask.
Before you start
- Make sure to update Ledger Live to the latest version via this link.
- Open Ledger Live and connect your Ledger device to the Manager to ensure that your Ledger device is running the latest firmware version.
- Ensure that the latest version of the Ethereum (ETH) app is installed on your Ledger device.
- Ensure the latest version of the Polygon (MATIC) app is installed on your Ledger device.
- Once you're all done, close Ledger Live as it can conflict with MetaMask.
Accessing your Ledger Polygon (MATIC) account via MetaMask.
- Download and install the MetaMask extension in your browser by following these steps.
- Open MetaMask and create a regular MetaMask account as shown in this video.
In the next steps, you will add a second account to MetaMask: your Ledger Polygon account.
- Once you're all set up, open MetaMask in your browser, click on the three dots icon and select Expand view.
MetaMask opens in a tab that is easier to navigate.
- Connect MetaMask to the Polygon-Mainnet network by following these steps.
Use the RPC data below to connect MetaMask to Polygon:
Network Name: Polygon Mainnet
New RPC URL: https://polygon-rpc.com/
Chain ID: 137
Currency Symbol: MATIC
Block Explorer URL: https://polygonscan.com/
MetaMask now displays a MATIC balance instead of an ETH balance.
- Plug your Ledger device into your computer and open the Polygon app on your device by navigating to the Polygon icon and pressing both buttons simultaneously.
Your Ledger device displays Application is ready.
- In MetaMask, click the identicon, select Connect Hardware Wallet > Ledger, and click Continue.
After a brief moment, a list of account addresses appears.
- Select an account by ticking the box. Then click Unlock.
Your Ledger Polygon account and MATIC balance appear in MetaMask.
I can't see my Polygon ERC20 tokens!
- Unlike in Ledger Live where supported token balances are automatically displayed in your account, most tokens need to be manually added to MetaMask to be visible.
- A token balance that has not yet been added to MetaMask will be hidden in the interface.
- To add a custom token, please use PolygonScan and follow these steps.
Accessing an ERC20 token balance sent to your Ledger Polygon account
You can connect your Ledger device to the official Polygon Wallet through MetaMask to access ERC20 tokens sent to your Ledger Polygon account.
- Go to Polygon Wallet v2.
- Open and unlock MetaMask in your browser.
- Click Connect to a Wallet and select MetaMask.
A MetaMask prompt opens in your browser.
- Click Sign.
Your Ledger device displays Sign message.
- On your Ledger device, scroll right then press both buttons to confirm Sign message.
Your Ledger device connects to Polygon Wallet via MetaMask.
- Select Polygon Wallet.
Your Ledger Polygon account appears.
- Use the search bar to find your ERC20 token balance.