This article describes how to use Hop Exchange to quickly transfer crypto assets between the following networks:
What are these networks?
- Ethereum is a decentralized digital economy powered by blockchain and smart contracts. You can learn more about Ethereum here.
- Polygon is an Ethereum side-chain and a framework for building and connecting Ethereum-compatible networks. You can learn more about Polygon here.
- Arbitrum and Optimism are Ethereum "layer 2" networks built to help Ethereum scale via optimistic rollups. You can learn more about optimistic rollup technology here.
- Gnosis (formerly xDai Chain) is an Ethereum-compatible payment network designed for fast and inexpensive transactions. You can learn more about Gnosis here.
Before you start
- Make sure to update to the latest version of Ledger Live via this link.
- Open My Ledger in Ledger Live and ensure your Ledger device is running the latest firmware version.
- Install the latest version of the Ethereum (ETH) app on your Ledger device.
- Install the Metamask extension in your browser (we strongly recommend Chrome) and create a regular Metamask account.
- Connect your Ledger Ethereum account to Metamask as explained here.
Bridging assets across networks with Hop Exchange
- Open your browser and unlock Metamask.
- In Metamask select your Ledger account.
- In your browser, open the Hop Exchange app.
- Select Connect a Wallet then Metamask.
Metamask connects to Hop Exchange, your Ledger account address appears in the app.
- Navigate to the Send menu and select the asset to send.
- Use the From and To menus to select the source and destination networks.
For example: To bridge MATIC from your Polygon account to your Ethereum account, select (Send) MATIC, (From) Polygon, (To) Ethereum.
- On your Ledger device, open the Ethereum (ETH) app, go to Settings and enable Bling Signing by following these steps.
Once blind signing is enabled, please leave the ETH app open on your Ledger device.
- Select the number of coins or tokens you wish to transfer, review the fees then click Send.
By default, your crypto will be sent to your account on the destination network but you can select a custom recipient by selecting Options and pasting their address.
- Review transaction again then click Send. To learn more about the fees charged by Hop Exchange, please review this article.
Metamask opens in your browser.
- On Metamask, review the transaction then click Confirm.
Your Ledger device displays Review transaction, your device is waiting for your confirmation.
- Review the transaction on your Ledger device then scroll to the Accept and send screen and press both buttons to confirm.
Your transaction receipt appears in the app. The receipt includes your funds' estimated time of arrival to the destination account.
- Click Close.