Temporary issue with signing messages on OpenSea
- Currently, there might be issues signing a message when connecting to OpenSea using the Phantom wallet in conjunction with a Ledger device. Our engineering team is aware of the situation and is actively working on a resolution. We appreciate your patience.
- As a temporary workaround, consider using your Ledger device connected to an alternative third-party application, like Solflare.
This tutorial describes how to set up and use the Phantom browser extension with your Ledger device to access your Ledger Solana (SOL) account(s).
Before you start
- Ensure the latest version of the Solana (SOL) app is installed on your Ledger device.
- Make sure to close Ledger Live as it can conflict with the Phantom extension.
- Phantom on Firefox doesn't support Ledger devices so we recommend using Chrome or Brave browser.
Accessing your Ledger Solana account(s) via Phantom
- Open your browser and install the Phantom extension.
- Select Create New Wallet, copy your 12-word Phantom recovery phrase and click Ok, I saved it somewhere.
Your 12-word phantom recovery phrase does not replace your 24-word Ledger recovery phrase. Make sure to keep them both secure and secret.
- Choose a password, confirm it, agree to the terms of service and click Save.
- Finish the onboarding then open the Phantom extension in your browser.
- Connect your Ledger device and open the Solana (SOL) app on your device.
- In the Phantom extension, go to the Settings (=) then select Add / Connect Wallet.
- Select Connect Hardware Wallet and click Continue.
- You'll be prompted to choose a chain. Pick Solana from the menu and click Continue.
Phantom will start detecting your Ledger accounts.
- Select the Ledger account(s) you wish to add to Phantom then click Continue followed by Done.
- Once your accounts are successfully added, highlight your Ledger account and click the copy icon. This will copy your Ledger address.
Use this copied address to receive SOL, USDC, or other SPL tokens directly into your Ledger account
Resolving Ledger Connectivity Issues with Phantom
If you encounter any issues using your Ledger Nano S, S Plus, or X with Phantom, rest assured that there are several common troubleshooting methods to help you resolve the problem. Follow these steps to ensure a smooth connection:
If the transaction is not being broadcasted to the Nano for approval, try completely removing the Ledger account from Phantom, then go through the steps to add it back in. To do this, go to:
- Settings > Manage accounts > Select the Ledger wallet, then "Remove Account." Then re-add, as laid out at the beginning of the article.
Go to the Solana or Ethereum App, then click right to settings, then turn on Blind Sign.
Make sure you are using Chrome, Edge, or Brave as Ledger isn't currently supported on Firefox.
Ensure the Ledger Live app is closed on your computer while attempting to connect with Phantom.
Verify that the cable connecting your Ledger device to the computer is properly plugged in. If the cable is old or faulty, consider replacing it.
Make sure you leave some native tokens on the Ledger to ensure smooth communication with Phantom.
Send a simple transaction from your Ledger to your Phantom Address. If it does not work, try the following:
- Restart your computer and try again.
- Try adding your Ledger in a brand new browser, e.g., Brave (if you are using Chrome). Install the extension from the phantom.app only.
Still need help?
If you're experiencing issues using the Phantom wallet, please reach out to Phantom wallet support.