This article will describe how to solve for error 0x6a83 or 0x6811 affecting Ethereum-related applications such as Flare, Songbird or Binance Smart Chain.
What is error 0x6a83 and 0x6811?
Errors 0x6a83 and 0x6811 are fundamentally the same error. Whether you will encounter one or the other depends on your Ledger device model and firmware version.
The root cause is a dependency error. A dependency error happens when one app (the dependent app) will not install or update unless another app (the parent app) is already installed and updated to the latest version.
For example, error 0x6a83/0x6811 has recently been affecting Songbird (SBG) and Ethereum (ETH) users. You can see an example here where a user ran into the 0x6a83 error while attempting to update the Ethereum (ETH) app to the latest version.
Where do errors 0x6a83 and 0x6811 come from?
Currently, these errors mostly affect users who installed a test version of the Flare app on their Ledger device. This test app was mistakenly made available to the App catalog in Ledger Live then subsequently removed from the catalog.
Because of the dependency between the Flare, Songbird, and Ethereum apps, having the old test Flare app installed on your Ledger device will prevent you from updating the Ethereum app or any other Ethereum-based app (like the Binance Smart Chain and Songbird app).
How to solve errors 0x6a83 and 0x6811?
Deleting the test Flare app from your Ledger device will solve the issue. Here's how to do it.
- Open Ledger Live.
- Go to Settings, select the Experimental features tab and activate Developer mode by using the toggle button.
- Navigate to the My Ledger tab and connect your Ledger device.
- Find the Flare app in the App installed menu and click the bin icon to uninstall the app.
- Reconnect your Ledger device to My Ledger, find the Ethereum app in the App installed section, and update the app to the latest version.
The Ethereum app updates.
- Go back to Settings, select the Experimental features tab and turn off Developer mode by using the toggle button.