In one sentence, they are just as safe as if you were managing your coins directly on Ledger Live. In both cases, your private keys never leave your Ledger device. Follow the steps outlined below to start managing ADA with a third-party wallet.
Installing the Cardano app
Before you can install the Cardano app, make sure you have set up Ledger Live with your device.
- Open My Ledger in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- If asked, allow My Ledger to access your device.
- Find Cardano in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
Managing your ADA with a third party wallet
Now that the Cardano application is installed on your device, make sure to close Ledger Live then head over to one of the following compatible third-party wallets
- Adalite (Desktop only): check the Adalite user guide for step-by-step instructions.
- Yoroi (Desktop and mobile): check the Yoroi user guide for step-by-step instructions.
- Daedalus: note that this is a full node wallet and you will be required to download the entire Cardano blockchain history.
Third-party wallets compatible with Ledger play a vital role in our ecosystem. Managing your Cardano (ADA) through Adalite or Yoroi is just as secure as using Ledger Live. Rest assured, your private keys stay protected on your Ledger device and are never exposed.