This article describes how to access Ethereum Classic (ETC) coins that have been mistakenly sent to your Ledger Ethereum (ETH) account.
- This tutorial is for recovery purposes only, the recommended way to store ETH coins in a Ledger Ethereum (ETH) account is described here.
- This tutorial uses a special version of the Ethereum app called the Eth recovery app which can be installed on your Ledger device via My Ledger in Ledger Live. To download the Eth recovery app, you need to enable Developer mode in the Experimental settings of Ledger Live. Check how to enable it below
Before your start
- Make sure to use Brave, Google Chrome, or Firefox browser.
- Open Ledger Live and create an Ethereum Classic (ETC) account.
- Make sure Blind Signing is enabled in the settings of the Eth recovery app. Learn more
- Use your Ledger Ethereum Classic (ETC) account to create a deposit address.
Install the Eth recovery app on your Ledger device
- Open Ledger Live, navigate to Settings→Experimental features, and activate Developer mode.
- Navigate to My Ledger and install the Eth recovery app.
- Close Ledger Live.
- On your Ledger device, navigate to the Eth recovery app and press both buttons simultaneously to open it.
Your Ledger device displays This is a recovery tool.
Accessing your ETC account via MyCrypto
Go to the MyCrypto website.
- Click on Ledger on the Fully Compatible section of the page.
- Choose network Ethereum Classic and click Continue.
- Make sure your Ledger device is connected and ETH recovery is open.
- Click Connect to Ledger Wallet.
- On the Select an account page, click Add a custom derivation path.
- Set a label as ETH or any other name and derivation path m/44'/60'/0'/0 and click Add DPath.
- Once added, on the Select an account page, select the new custom derivation path.
Your Ethereum Classic account with ETH address should appear in the list of found addresses with DPATH m/44'/60'/0'/0.
- Select the found account (1) and click Add 1 account(2).
The dashboard with your balance appears.
- Navigate to Send.
- Paste your Ledger Ethereum Classic (ETC) deposit address from Ledger Live in the recipient address field on MyCrypto.
- Click Next.
- Confirm the transaction on your Ledger device.
Once the transaction has been processed, your ETC will appear in your Ethereum Classic (ETC) account in Ledger Live.