You can receive crypto assets on accounts managed by your Ledger device by generating a receive address in the Ledger Live app. Assets not supported by Ledger Live can be managed through an external wallet.
Always send a small amount first. Then verify that the transaction was properly received by the recipient address before proceeding to send larger amounts.
Before you begin
- Ledger Live should be ready to use.
- The right app should be installed on your Ledger device.
Ex: install the Bitcoin app to receive Bitcoin.
- Add an account if you're using Ledger Live.
Step by step
- Click Receive in the menu on the left-hand side.
- Type or use the drop-down list to choose the account to credit.
- Click Continue.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device. Open the crypto asset app as instructed and click Continue.
- Read the on-screen instructions and click on Verify to display an address on your device.
- Verify that the address shown on your screen is the same as the address shown in Ledger Live.
For optimal security, you should copy and send the address to the sender of the transaction. Then verify with the sender of the transaction that the address received matches the one shown on your device.
- Approve the address on your device if it is the same. The receive modal cannot be closed until the address is rejected or approved on the device.
- Copy the address to share it with the sender of the transaction. Carefully check that the address does not change after you copy and paste it. It is recommended to click Re-verify after you've entered the address somewhere else to double-check it with your hardware wallet.
- Tap the Transact tab at the bottom of the app.
- Tap Receive.
- Choose the Account to credit.
- Choose the Ledger Nano X that manages the account to credit.
- Make sure the device is turned on and unlocked.
- Open the crypto asset app as instructed.
- Read the on-screen instructions and tap on Verify to display a receive address on your Ledger Nano X.
- View the address and verify that it is the same as the address shown in Ledger Live.
- If the addresses match: Press the right button to select Approve, then press both buttons to confirm the address shown in Ledger Live.
- If the addresses don't match: Select Reject on your device and do not send to it.
- Click Copy or Share and share the address with the sender of the transaction. Carefully check that the address does not change after you copy and paste it or tap the Re-verify button to display on your device again.
You may safely disconnect your hardware wallet once you've verified an address or approved a transaction. Crypto assets are transferred on their blockchain network to the address generated by your device, nothing gets physically sent to your device.
Don't have your device?
- On the account selection screen, click on Don't have your device? to generate a receive address.
- The generated receive address does not benefit from the optimal level of security because the receive address on Ledger Live is not verified on your Ledger hardware wallet.
Why receive addresses change
You've generated an address for the selected account, that you can share with the sender.
- Blockchains based on Bitcoin are public networks. For optimal privacy, the addresses of those crypto assets should generally not be re-used after a transaction.
- Ledger Live generates new addresses for crypto assets based on Bitcoin.
- For crypto assets based on Bitcoin, the previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.