Important note regarding using MetaMask with your Ledger device
- Please do not import a Metamask 12-word recovery phrase onto your Ledger device. Metamask recovery phrases are generated online and, as a result, are not safe to use for cold-storage custody.
- Your Ledger device should only be seeded with the 24-word recovery phrase generated by the device during the initial setup.
- Please do not import your Ledger 24-word recovery phrase into MetaMask via the Import account option. Doing so will compromise the security of your recovery phrase.
This tutorial describes how to access your Ledger Ethereum (ETH) account(s) through MetaMask.
Before you start
- Make sure to update Ledger Live to the latest version via this link.
- Open Ledger Live and connect your Ledger device to My Ledger to ensure that your Ledger device is running the latest firmware version.
- Ensure that the latest version of the Ethereum (ETH) app is installed on your Ledger device.
- Once you're all done, close Ledger Live as it can conflict with Metamask.
Connect your Ledger Ethereum (ETH) account to Metamask
- Download and install the MetaMask extension in your browser by following these steps.
We strongly recommend using the Chrome or Firefox browsers.
- Open MetaMask and create a standalone MetaMask account as shown in this video.
In the next steps, you will add a second account to MetaMask: your Ledger Ethereum (ETH) account.
- Once you're all set up, open MetaMask in your browser, click on the three dots icon, and select Expand view.
MetaMask opens in a tab that is easier to navigate.
- Plug your Ledger device into your computer and open the Ethereum (ETH) app on your Ledger device by navigating to the Ethereum icon and pressing both buttons simultaneously.
Your Ledger device displays Application is ready.
- In MetaMask, click the identicon, select Connect Hardware Wallet > Ledger, and click Continue.
After a brief moment, a list of account addresses appears.
- Select an account by ticking the box then click Unlock.
Which account should I pick from the list?
- If this is your first Ethereum account, it's best to select the first account on the list (index 1).
- If you pick an account that's further down on the list this account might not be reflected in Ledger Live.
- Your Ledger Ethereum account and ETH balance appear in MetaMask.
I am confused, is my account in MetaMask or in my Ledger wallet?
- Although your Ledger Ethereum account shows in MetaMask, the private keys that control spending from your account are secured by your Ledger device and represented by your 24-word recovery phrase.
- Your "regular" MetaMask account, however, is secured by the 12-word recovery phrase generated while setting up MetaMask. Make sure to keep both your 24-word and 12-word recovery phrases securely.
- You can toggle between your "regular" MetaMask Ethereum account and Ledger Ethereum account by pressing the round-colored icon and selecting which account you wish to look at.
Where are my ERC20 tokens?
Not all Ethereum ERC20 tokens are enabled by default in MetaMask. To add a new token to the MetaMask interface, please follow these instructions.
You can see an example below with CRV token.
Once your missing ERC20 token has been added as a custom token, you should be able to see them in MetaMask.