Ledger x MetaMask connection issues
- We're aware of ongoing problems connecting Ledger devices to MetaMask. Both teams are working on a fix.
- Firefox users: Firefox 114 broke U2F compatibility - disrupting the ability to connect Ledger or any other hardware wallets to MetaMask. Please use other browsers which support U2F or WebHID connection method type (eg. Chrome, Brave).
- Chrome users: Make sure you have the latest version of MetaMask and Chrome installed. Also, select WebHID as the preferred connection type in MetaMask by navigating to Settings > Advanced.
Additionally, make sure to enable HID devices as seen in the picture below:
If the issue persists, consider using Taho or Rabby as alternatives.
- You can follow us on Twitter at @Ledger_Support for updates.
In this article, you will learn a few tips that can help you connect your Ledger device to MetaMask.
Please note: If you're experiencing an issue with MetaMask on Firefox, please refer to our troubleshooting guide for temporary solutions.
Please note: MetaMask on Mobile is not available yet. You must use Desktop to interact with MetaMask.
Most MetaMask connection issues can be avoided by following the tips below.
Please go through each item carefully then try connecting your Ledger device to MetaMask again.
- Completely close and reopen the web browser. This clears all caches and forces a resync with the blockchain.
- Switching browsers might solve the issue. we recommend using Chrome.
- Ensure that MetaMask is updated to version 10.5.2 or above. You can learn how to check your MetaMask version here.
Chrome users can manually force an update by going to Manage extensions > Developer mode > Update
- Ensure that your Ledger device runs the latest firmware version. You can learn more here (Nano S users) or here (Nano X users).
- Ensure that your Ledger device is running the latest version of the Ethereum (ETH) app. Learn more here.
- Ensure that Ledger Live is closed otherwise it might prevent your Ledger device from connecting to MetaMask.
- Open the Ethereum (ETH) app on your Ledger device before starting the "Connect Hardware Wallet > Ledger > Continue" sequence in MetaMask.
This also applies to other EVM-compatible blockchain apps like Polygon, Binance Smart Chain, etc.
- Ensure that blind signing is enabled in the Ethereum app settings on your Ledger device. Learn more here.
- Ensure that Metamaks is opened in a tab by clicking the "three dots" icon and selecting Expand View. If you're on Chrome, go to Settings > Advanced > Preferred Ledger Connection Type and select WebHID:
- If the issue persists, try resetting your MetaMask account by going to Settings > Advanced > Reset Account. Once your account is reset, restart your browser and try connecting your Ledger device to MetaMask again.
Resetting your MetaMask account is safe but it will wipe your transaction history in the Activity tab in MetaMask.
Try going through the 'connect hardware flow' again. If it works, great, if not, please save the error message and provide to support if needed.
- Still having connection issues, and have some Ethereum in MetaMask? Try a basic "send" of some Ethereum and see what happens. If it doesn't work, we know this is a MetaMask issue. If it does work, it's likely something else that's causing the issue.