You can receive crypto assets on accounts managed by your Ledger device by generating a receive address in the Ledger Live app.
Always send a small amount first. Then verify that the transaction was properly received by the recipient address before proceeding to send larger amounts.
Before you begin
- You can only receive crypto assets that are supported in Ledger Live.
- Check that the right app is installed on your Ledger hardware wallet.
Ex: install the Bitcoin app to receive Bitcoin.
Step by step
- Tap the Transfer tab at the bottom of the app and choose Receive.
- Choose the Account to credit.
- Connect and unlock the Ledger device that manages the account to credit.
- Open the crypto asset app as instructed.
- Read the on-screen instructions and tap on Verify to display a receive address on your Ledger device.
- View the address and verify that it is the same as the address shown in Ledger Live.
For optimal security, you should copy and send the address to the sender of the transaction. Then verify with the sender of the transaction that the address received matches the one shown on your device.
- If the addresses match: Approve the address on your hardware wallet.
- Click Copy or Share and share the address with the sender of the transaction. Carefully check that the address does not change after you copy and paste it or tap the Re-verify button to display it on your device again.
You may safely disconnect your hardware wallet once you've verified an address or approved a transaction. Crypto assets are transferred on their blockchain network to the address generated by your device, nothing gets physically sent to your device.
Addresses don't match?
Reject the address on your device and do not send any crypto assets to the address shown in Ledger Live. Only addresses shown on your hardware wallet are yours.
Don't have your device?
- On the account selection screen, click on Don't have your device? to generate a receive address.
- The generated receive address does not benefit from the optimal level of security because the receive address on Ledger Live is not verified on your Ledger hardware wallet.
Why receive addresses change
You've generated an address for the selected account, that you can share with the sender.
- Blockchains based on Bitcoin are public networks. For optimal privacy, the addresses of those crypto assets should generally not be re-used after a transaction.
- Ledger Live generates new addresses for crypto assets based on Bitcoin.
- For crypto assets based on Bitcoin, the previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.