This article describes how to create an Avalanche C-Chain (AVAX) account with your Ledger device connected to the Ledger Live app.
The Avalanche network is partially supported in Ledger Live. For the moment it is not possible to create Avalanche AVAX X-Chain or P-Chain accounts directly in Ledger Live. However, you can create an Avalanche C-Chain account with your Ledger device connected to Ledger Live.
Avalanche (AVAX) is not supported in Ledger Live. If you are trying to receive, deposit, transfer or secure Avalanche (AVAX) on the AVAX C-chain, AVAX P-Chain or AVAX x-Chain, with a Ledger device through Ledger Live from an exchange, you must use a 3rd party wallet like Core Web wallet.
Before you start
- Update Ledger Live to the latest version.
- Update the firmware on your Ledger Nano S / Nano S Plus / Nano X.
- Make sure to close Ledger Live as it can conflict with Core web.
Install the Avalanche (AVAX) app on your Ledger device
- Open the 'My Ledger' section in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- If asked, allow My Ledger on your device.
- Find Avalanche in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
Add your Avalanche C-Chain account to Ledger Live with your Ledger device
- In Ledger Live, navigate to the Accounts section.
- Click on +Add account, select Avalanche C-Chain (AVAX) from the drop-down menu, and then click on Continue.
- When prompted, open the Avalanche app on your Ledger device using the buttons.
- You'll be given the option to name your account or go with the default name. Once everything looks good, click on 'Add account' in Ledger Live.
- Click on 'Done' to finalize adding your Avalanche C-Chain account to Ledger Live.
You're all set, you can now navigate to your Avalanche C-Chain account and use the 'Receive' button to obtain and verify your Avalanche account address with your Ledger device and use it to receive Avalanche (AVAX) coins in your Ledger account.
Accessing your Ledger Avalanche X-Chain and P-Chain account(s) through Core web
Unlike Avalanche C-Chain accounts which are supported in Ledger Live, it's not possible to create an X-Chain or P-Chain account in Ledger Live for the moment. To do so you can use your Ledger device connected to the Core wallet.
- Connect your Ledger device and open the Avalanche app on your device.
- Go to Core web and click Connect Wallet.
- Select Ledger among the proposed wallets.
The browser will display a selection box.
- Select your device and click Connect.
Once successful, Core web will open to your portfolio. If you had any previous balances, they will appear.
You should see your balance and the receiving address for X, P, and C-Chains.
- Learn more about AVAX and the Avalanche network here.
- Learn how to connect your Ledger device to Core Web with Ledger device.
Avalanche (AVAX) is not supported in Ledger Live. If you are trying to receive/secure Avalanche (AVAX) on the C-chain, P-Chain or x-Chain, with a Ledger device from an exchange, you must use a 3rd party wallet like Core Web wallet.