Once the Ledger Live application is ready, you need to use the Manager in Ledger Live to install apps on your Ledger hardware wallet. The Manager also allows you to uninstall apps to make room of others.
How apps work
- Your Ledger device securely stores your private keys giving access to your crypto assets.
- By installing different apps, your Ledger device can be used for many different crypto assets. To manage Bitcoin, you need to install the Bitcoin app.
- Ledger devices have limited storage and the sizes of apps vary. You can safely install and uninstall apps when needed. Your private keys stay safe on your device and backed up on your Recovery sheet.
The number of installable apps varies
Apps generally have different sizes and come in two categories:
- Stand-alone apps are bigger and cannot be stacked, examples are Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- Dependent apps are based on another app and are therefore smaller in size. You can install many of them at the same time, stacking them.
Installing only Bitcoin-dependent apps*: Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Dash, Horizen, Komodo, Stratis, Peercoin, PIVX, Viacoin, Vertcoin, Stealth, Digibyte, Qtum, Bitcoin Private, Zcoin, GameCredits, Zclassic.
Installing only stand-alone apps*: Bitcoin, Ethereum, XMR.
Stand-alone and dependent apps*: Bitcoin, Ethereum, HODL, RSK, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Stratis.
* situation as of June 4, 2019 - subject to modification in apps and firmware sizes.
Step by step
- Tap the Manager tab.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- Allow Ledger Manager when prompted on your device.
The Manager now opens, showing the App catalog and a Device section.
- Search for the app to install in the App catalog.
- Tap the Install button of the app.
- The installation drawer appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
If there's not enough storage space, simply uninstall some apps to make room. By uninstalling apps, you will not lose your crypto assets since your private keys always remain secure on your Ledger hardware wallet.
Apps don't hold any sensitive information. You can freely uninstall them and reinstall them later. The private keys providing access to your crypto assets stay on your device.
- Search for the app to uninstall in the App catalog.
- Tap the Trash button of the app.
- The uninstallation drawer appears.
- The uninstallation is confirmed.
Please check on your device that the app is uninstalled.
To uninstall the Bitcoin or Ethereum app, make sure all Bitcoin and Ethereum dependent apps are uninstalled first.