Ledger products are built around a combination of hardware and software security, meant to protect your private keys from a wide range of attacks. Use this guide to make sure your Ledger Nano X is genuine, and not fraudulent or counterfeit.
A few simple checks will assure you that your device is a genuine Ledger product:
- Origin of the Ledger product
- Box contents
- Condition of the Recovery sheet
- Initial state of the Ledger device.
Advanced users wanting to check the hardware integrity can jump to the end of this article.
Buy from an official Ledger reseller
Purchase your device directly from Ledger or through the authorized distributor / reseller network to make sure you receive an authentic Ledger product. Our official sales channels include:
- Official e-commerce website: Ledger.com
- Official Amazon stores: USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Japan.
Ledger devices purchased from other vendors are not necessarily dubious. However, we do strongly recommend that you meticulously perform the safety checks below to ensure that your Ledger is genuine.
Check the box contents
The package of a Ledger hardware wallet should include:
- Ledger Nano X
- USB Type-C cable
- 5 paper cards in an envelope, including:
- Getting started leaflet;
- Use, Care and Regulatory Statement;
- 3 blank Recovery sheets.
- Accessories: keychain and Ledger stickers
- Packaging: Ledger-branded cardboard box and sleeve
Check the Recovery sheets came blank
Once you set up your Ledger Nano X, it will generate a new 24-word recovery phrase for you to write down on a Recovery sheet. If someone else were to know your recovery phrase, you can lose all your crypto assets. Follow the guidelines below to ensure the security of your assets:
- Make sure your Recovery sheets came blank.
- If your Recovery sheets already have words on them: The device is not safe to use.
Please contact Ledger Support for assistance.
- Ledger never provides a 24-word recovery phrase in any way, shape, or form. Only accept a recovery phrase obtained from the screen of your Ledger Nano X.
Blank Recovery sheet
Check for factory settings
- When turning on your Ledger Nano X for the first time, it should display the Ledger Logo, then release the button and then Welcome to Ledger Nano X - Press right to continue.
- Ledger never provides a PIN code in any way, shape, or form.
Always choose the PIN code yourself.
- If a PIN code is included in the packaging or instructions to get one elsewhere, or if the device requires a PIN code the first time you use it: the device is not safe to use. Please contact Ledger Support for assistance.
Ledger Nano X: Welcome
Check authenticity with Ledger applications
- Set up your Ledger device with Ledger Live to verify its authenticity.
- Genuine Ledger devices hold a secret key that is set during manufacture.
- Only a genuine Ledger device can use its key to provide the cryptographic proof required to connect with Ledger’s secure server.
- Check your Recovery sheets came in blank.
- Set up your Ledger Nano X by yourself. The Welcome screen should be displayed when first starting your device.
- Choose your own PIN code.
- Contact Ledger Support in case of doubt.
Ledger deliberately chooses not to use anti-tamper seals on its packaging. These seals are easy to counterfeit and can, therefore, be misleading. Rather, genuine Ledger devices contain a secure chip that prevents physical tampering: this provides stronger security than any sticker possibly could.
Hardware integrity check
Advanced users can check the hardware integrity on the inside of their Ledger device. This article provides a non-exhaustive chronology of the different revisions of the Ledger Nano X builds. Please be aware that normal usage does not involve opening your Ledger device. Proceed to do so at your own risk. Ledger can not be held liable for any possible damage resulting from opening the device.