This article will help you set up your first Solana (SOL) account with your Ledger device and the Ledger Live app.
I can't see my Solana tokens in Ledger Live
- Currently, the Ledger Live app does not support Solana tokens. As a result, while you can safely send tokens (like USDC, Tether USDT, BONK, PYTH, Jupiter JUP, WEN, etc.) to your Solana (SOL) account, these tokens will not be visible in the Ledger Live app. However, you can securely view and manage your tokens by connecting your Ledger device to Solflare or Phantom, which are Ledger-compatible third-party applications.
- Please note, that when sending Solana tokens through Solflare or Phantom, you'll need to enable 'blind-signing' in the Solana (SOL) app settings on your Ledger device. Learn more.
Before you start
- Download and install Ledger Live on your computer. You can learn more about how to get started with Ledger Live here.
- Update the firmware of your Ledger Nano S / Nano S Plus / Nano X.
Install the Solana (SOL) app on your Ledger device
- Open Ledger Live and navigate to My Ledger tab.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- If asked, allow the My Ledger on your device.
- Search for the Solana (SOL) app in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button to install the app on your Ledger device.
- Your Ledger device displays Processing.
- Ledger Live displays Installed.
Rent on Send and Staking Solana
Ledger Live Mobile 3.18 and Desktop 2.73.1 now take into account the Rent when making transactions with SOL. This solves the issue users were facing when doing a sendMax or stakeMax. Learn more about Solana's rent here.
If you're still having trouble with sendMax or stakeMax functions, please make sure Ledger Live is up-to-date.
Sending SOL coins with your Ledger device and Ledger Live
You can manage your Solana account in Ledger Live to send and receive SOL coins. To do this, simply go to your account in Ledger Live and select either 'Send' or 'Receive' to perform these transactions using your Ledger device.
Please note that while you can also receive Solana tokens (like USDC, Tether USDT, BONK, etc.) into your Solana (SOL) account, these tokens will not be visible in the Ledger Live app. However, you can securely view and manage your tokens by connecting your Ledger device to Solflare or Phantom, which are Ledger-compatible third-party applications.
Solana account not funded message
An "Account not funded" warning will appear when sending SOL to a brand new Solana account. It warns you that this account is empty and not yet known by the Solana network . Sending to a non-funded account is perfectly safe, just make sure to double-check that the account address is correct then proceed.
When signing Solana transactions with your Ledger device, you will notice the Pubkey length feature that allows you to set long or short settings:
- The short setting will display a truncated transaction address and only reveal its beginning and end.
- The long setting displays the full address.
From a security perspective, Ledger recommends using the long setting so that you have a full overview of the address when verifying a transaction.
Swapping Solana (SOL) in Ledger Live
You can securely swap Solana (SOL) coins for other cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), USDT Tether, XRP, Dogecoin (DOGE) and more, using the Swap feature in Ledger Live. As of December 2023, a minimum of 0.93 SOL is required to initiate a swap transaction from your Solana (SOL) account.
- Create your first Ledger Solana (SOL) account in Ledger Live. Learn more here.
- Alternatively, you can access your Ledger Solana (SOL) account through Solflare (learn more here) or Phantom. Learn more here
- Stake your SOL to get rewards. Learn more.
- Learn more about SOL and the Solana network here.