Restore a Ledger Nano X device from your recovery phrase to restore, replace or clone a device. The Ledger Nano X will recover the private keys backed up by your confidential recovery phrase.
Set up as a new device to generate new private keys and save a new recovery phrase as a backup.
Before you start
- Download and install the Ledger Live companion app on your computer or phone.
- Get the recovery phrase to restore. BIP39/BIP44 recovery phrases are supported.
Choose your PIN code
- Press the button next to the USB port for 3 seconds to turn on your Ledger Nano X.
- Press the right or left button to read through all on-screen instructions.
- Press both buttons to choose Restore from recovery phrase.
- Press the left or right button to select a digit. Press both buttons to validate a digit.
- Select to confirm your PIN code of 4 to 8 digits. Select to erase a digit.
- Enter the PIN code again to confirm it.
- Always choose your own PIN code.
- Use 8 digits for optimal security.
- Never use a device supplied with a PIN code or a recovery phrase.
Enter your recovery phrase
- Choose the length of your recovery phrase (12, 18 or 24 words). Press both buttons to validate.
- Enter the first letters of Word #1 by selecting them with the right or left button. Press both buttons to validate each letter.
- Choose Word #1 from the suggested words. Press both buttons to validate it.
- Repeat the process until the last word of your recovery phrase.
- Your device is now ready is displayed if you've successfully entered your recovery phrase.
- Carefully secure your 24-word recovery phrase out of sight.
- Make sure you are the sole holder of your recovery phrase.
- Ledger does not keep any backup of your recovery phrase.
- Never use a device supplied with a recovery phrase or a PIN code.
Invalid recovery phrase?
- Make sure the correct recovery phrase length is selected. Always enter all words of a recovery phrase.
- Verify that the order of the words entered on the device matches the order on your Recovery sheet.
- Check that all the words of your recovery phrase are on the BIP39 word list.
You've successfully restored your private keys on your device!