This article will help you set up your first Ledger Cosmos (ATOM) account.
Before you start
- Download and install Ledger Live on your computer. You can learn more about how to get started with Ledger Live here.
- Open Ledger Live, connect your Ledger device to My Ledger, and make sure your Ledger device is running the latest firmware version.
- If your Ledger device needs a firmware update, please update the firmware of your Ledger Nano S / Nano S Plus / Nano X.
Cosmos no longer supported by Ledger Live below version 2.23
Ledger Live below version 2.23 will no longer support Cosmos. To manage ATOM in Ledger Live, please update Ledger Live through the notification banner or download the latest version.
Before updating to Ledger Live version 2.23, note that the update will erase your Cosmos transaction history. Your transaction history before February 18th may be visible in a third-party explorer such as Cosmos Explorer.
After the update, your Cosmos accounts might be removed from your Portfolio. In that case, you can simply add them back. Don't worry, this does not affect your crypto assets.
Install the Cosmos (ATOM) app on your Ledger device
- Open Ledger Live and navigate to the My Ledger tab.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- If asked, allow My Ledger to access your device.
- Search for the Cosmos (ATOM) app in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button to install the app on your Ledger device.
- Your Ledger device displays Processing.
- Ledger Live displays Installed.
Important notice regarding sending ATOM from your Ledger Cosmos account to an exchange account
When sending ATOM from your Ledger Cosmos account to a crypto exchange, the exchange will often require that you add a memo to your deposit transaction.
Memos are used by exchanges to identify incoming deposits and credit ATOM coins to the correct account. Make sure you use the correct Memo type and enter the Memo exactly as instructed by the exchange.
Sending ATOM from a crypto exchange to your Ledger Cosmos account however does not require a memo. If your exchange insists that you must type in a memo before you can withdraw ATOM coins, it's safe to type any random number or leave the memo field blank.
You can learn more about the memo tags here.