This article will help you set up your first Cosmos (ATOM) account with your Ledger device and Ledger Live.
Before you start
- Download and install the latest version of Ledger Live on your computer. You can learn more about how to get started with Ledger Live here.
- Open Ledger Live, connect your Ledger device to the 'My Ledger' section, and make sure your Ledger device is running the latest firmware version.
- If your Ledger device needs a firmware update, please update the firmware of your Ledger Nano S / Nano S Plus / Nano X.
Install the Cosmos (ATOM) app on your Ledger device
- Open Ledger Live and navigate to the My Ledger tab.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- If asked, allow My Ledger to access your device.
- Search for the Cosmos (ATOM) app in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button to install the app on your Ledger device.
- Your Ledger device displays Processing.
- Ledger Live displays Installed.
You're all set!
The Cosmos app is developed and supported by the Cosmos community.
Important notice regarding sending ATOM from your Ledger Cosmos account to an exchange account
When sending ATOM from your Ledger Cosmos account to a crypto exchange, the exchange will often require that you add a memo to your deposit transaction.
Memos are used by exchanges to identify incoming deposits and credit ATOM coins to the correct account. Make sure you use the correct Memo type and enter the Memo exactly as instructed by the exchange.
Sending ATOM from a crypto exchange to your Ledger Cosmos account however does not require a memo. If your exchange insists that you must type in a memo before you can withdraw ATOM coins, it's safe to type any random number or leave the memo field blank.
You can learn more about the memo tags here.
Do Cosmos accounts support tokens?
The Cosmos network enables the transfer of coins between its various blockchains through a method known as IBC (Inter-Blockchain Communication) transfer. However, Ledger Live does not yet support IBC transactions. This means that while coins transferred from another Cosmos chain to your Cosmos account via IBC will safely reach their destination, they will not be visible in Ledger Live.
- Create your first Cosmos account with your Ledger device and Ledger Live. Learn more.
Please be aware that adding a new or existing Cosmos (ATOM) account to Ledger Live might take some time.
If you encounter extended synchronization periods during this process, rest assured that this is normal. Allow Ledger Live to synchronize for a few minutes. Once synchronization is complete, your Cosmos account will appear in the app, and you'll be able to add it to Ledger Live.
- Receive ATOM into your Cosmos account. Learn more.
- Send ATOM from your Cosmos account. Learn more.
- Buy ATOM through exchange services. Learn more.
- Get staking rewards by delegating your Atoms. Learn more.