IOTA (MIOTA) is a distributed ledger for the Internet of Things (IOT) created by David Sønstebø. It is meant to facilitate transactions between connected objects, supposedly helping to accelerate IOT adoption globally. An advantage of IOTA is that transactions are free - even when offline. IOTA uses its own method of reaching a consensus: in order to submit a transaction to the IOTA ledger, each participant must verify two previous transactions. The advantage of this method would be that there’s no central ledger, and thus no miners to secure the network. This type of verification is known as Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG), but the creators of IOTA call it the “Tangle”.
Before you start
- Your Ledger device has the latest firmware.
- Ledger Live is ready to use.
- Chrome or Firefox is needed to use the Romeo web wallet.
Install the IOTA app
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device by pressing the right button.
- Find IOTA in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
- Check the Trinity or Romeo user guides for setup instructions.
- Reach out to the IOTA community on Discord if you need assistance.
IOTA accounts can not be added to Ledger Live.