You can receive crypto assets on accounts managed by your Ledger Nano S device by generating a receive address in the Ledger Live application. Assets not supported by Ledger Live can be managed through an external wallet.
Always send a small amount first. Then verify that the transaction was properly received by the recipient address before proceeding to send larger amounts.
Before you begin
- Ledger Live should be ready to use.
- The right app should be installed on your Ledger Nano X.
Ex: install the Bitcoin app to receive Bitcoin.
- Add an account if you're using Ledger Live.
- Click the Receive button on the left panel or at the top of an account page.
- Type or use the drop-down list to choose the account to receive crypto assets in and click on Continue.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger Nano S, open the app as instructed and click on Continue.
- Read the on-screen instructions and click on Continue to generate a receive address on your device.
- Verify that the address shown on your screen is the same as the address shown in Ledger Live. Press the right button to verify the entire address. If the addresses are the same, press both buttons to Approve the address.
- Click Copy in Ledger Live to copy the address and share it with the sender of the transaction. Carefully check that the address does not change after you copy and paste it.
You may safely disconnect your hardware wallet once you've verified an address or approved a transaction. Crypto assets are transferred on their blockchain network to the address generated by your device, nothing gets physically sent to your device.
Don't have your device?
- On the account selection screen, click on I don't have my device to generate a receive address.
- The generated receive address does not benefit from the optimal level of security because the receive address on Ledger Live is not verified on your Ledger Nano S.
Privacy of blockchain addresses
You've generated an address for the selected account, that you can share with the sender.
- Blockchains based on Bitcoin are public networks. For optimal privacy, the addresses of those crypto assets should generally not be reused after a transaction.
- Ledger Live generates new addresses for crypto assets based on Bitcoin.
- For crypto assets based on Bitcoin, the previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.