Install the Ethereum app on your Ledger hardware wallet to manage Ethereum (ETH) with Ledger Live. The Ethereum app is developed and supported by Ledger. Check the Ethereum wallet page to learn more.
Before you start
- Set up Ledger Live with your Ledger device.
- Ensure your Ledger device runs the latest firmware version.
Install the Ethereum app
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device.
- Find Ethereum in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app will be installed.
Smart contracts not supported in Ledger Live
To send arbitrary data to smart contracts, you need to enable Contract Data in the Ethereum app. Please note that enabling Contract Data means that you can't properly verify and sign transactions, making them less secure.
For simplicity, you can keep Debug Data disabled. Otherwise, it will make you validate every 32 bytes sent to the contract.
- Ethereum paid for your transactions is called Gas.
- Gas Price: Amount of Ethereum used per unit of Gas. This determines the speed of your transaction.
- Gas Limit: The maximum units of Gas you will pay. If this is set too low, your transaction can fail for running Out of Gas. Only the ETH worth of burnt gas will be deducted from your balance, the amount that was supposed to be sent remains in your account.
If you have mistakenly sent ETH to an Ethereum based account such as Ethereum Classic, you can use our Eth recovery app to recover your Ethereum. Learn how to use the Eth recovery app in this article.