Use the Recovery Check app on your Ledger hardware wallet to verify that you've correctly backed up your recovery phrase on your recovery sheet. Before you continue, you need to have set up your Ledger device and written down its recovery phrase.
Conducting a Recovery Check is particularly beneficial if you manage multiple recovery phrases and/or several Ledger devices, as it helps identify the correct seed phrase associated with each device.
Step by step
- Open My Ledger in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
If you have configured a passphrase activated by a secondary PIN code, use the regular PIN code to unlock the device.
- If asked, allow My Ledger to access your device.
- Find Recovery Check in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
If the app could not be installed, free up some storage space by uninstalling apps. This operation does not affect your crypto assets, that are secured in the blockchain.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- Navigate to Recovery Check and press both buttons to open it.
- Press both buttons to start the check.
- Press the right button to choose the length of your recovery phrase (12, 18 or 24 words).
- Press both buttons to confirm.
- Choose the first letter of Word #1 by pressing the right or left button. Press both buttons to select the letter.
- Select the second letter of Word #1. Repeat until the device shows suggested words to choose from.
- Choose Word #1 from the suggested words. Press both buttons to select it.
- Repeat the process for each word of your recovery phrase.
- Phrase is correct is displayed if you've correctly saved your recovery phrase.
- Use My Ledger to uninstall the app. The app is particularly big and there is no use in keeping on your device once your recovery phrase has been checked.
Incorrect recovery phrase?
- Ensure you did not run Recovery Check with a passphrase enabled.
- Make sure the correct recovery phrase length is selected. Enter all words of a recovery phrase.
- Verify that the order of the words entered on the device matches the order written on your Recovery sheet.
- Check that all the words of your recovery phrase are on the BIP39 word list.
Still unable to find the correct recovery phrase? Please contact Ledger Support.
- Unfortunately, the Recovery Check app cannot be used to verify your passphrase. Attempts to use Recovery Check with passphrase accounts will not succeed. Once your passphrase is set up, it cannot be verified, underscoring the importance of having a reliable backup in place.
- Second, it's important to differentiate between a few related terms:
- Recovery Check App: An application to securely verify the correctness of your recovery phrase and the topic of this article.
- Ledger Recover: An optional subscription-based recovery service that provides a backup for your 24-word recovery phrase.
- Recovery Mode: A troubleshooting procedure for a Nano X that encounters issues during firmware updates.