You can receive crypto assets on accounts managed by your Ledger device by generating a receive address in the Ledger Live app.
Always send a small amount first. Then verify that the transaction was properly received by the recipient address before proceeding to send larger amounts.
Before you begin
- You can only receive crypto assets that are supported in Ledger Live.
- Check that the right app is installed on your Ledger hardware wallet.
Ex: install the Bitcoin app to receive Bitcoin.
Step by step
- Click Receive in the menu on the left-hand side.
- Type or use the drop-down list to choose the account to credit.
- Click Continue.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device. Open the crypto asset app as instructed and click Continue.
- Read the on-screen instructions and click on Verify to display an address on your device.
- Verify that the address shown on your screen is the same as the address shown in Ledger Live. Approve the address on your device if is the same.
- Copy the address to share it with the sender of the transaction. Carefully check that the address does not change after you copy and paste it. It is recommended to click Re-verify after you've entered the address somewhere else to double-check it with your hardware wallet.
Addresses don't match?
Reject the address on your device and do not send any crypto assets to the address shown in Ledger Live. Only addresses shown on your hardware wallet are yours.
Don't have your device?
- On the account selection screen, click on Don't have your device? to generate a receive address.
- The generated receive address does not benefit from the optimal level of security because the receive address on Ledger Live is not verified on your Ledger hardware wallet.
Why receive addresses change
You've generated an address for the selected account, that you can share with the sender.
- Blockchains based on Bitcoin are public networks. For optimal privacy, the addresses of those crypto assets should generally not be re-used after a transaction.
- Ledger Live generates new addresses for crypto assets based on Bitcoin.
- For crypto assets based on Bitcoin, the previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.