The first time you use the Ledger Live application, it will help you set up your Ledger device and configure the app. Ledger Live stores your accounts and settings on your computer. You will have to set up your accounts again on any additional computer.
Before you begin
- Start the Ledger Live application.
- On the welcome screen, choose a theme and click on Get started.
- Choose how to set up your device:
- Set up as new device to generate new private keys and to create new accounts.
- Restore device from recovery phrase to restore the private keys of your existing accounts using your (24-word) recovery phrase, also known as a mnemonic seed.
- Skip device setup if your device is already set up and ready to use.
- Choose your device, then click on Continue.
The Ledger Nano X can only connect to the Ledger Live desktop app computer via USB.
First, you'll choose a 4 to 8-digit PIN code that unlocks your device. Then you'll save or restore your 24-word recovery phrase. Your recovery phrase backs up the private keys that manage your crypto assets. It can be used to restore access to your crypto assets in case you lose access to your device.
- Set up your device by following the steps provided in Ledger Live:
- Once your Ledger hardware wallet is ready, click on Continue in Ledger Live.
Complete the security checklist to verify that you benefit from the optimal level of security.
- Answer the on-screen questions by clicking on Yes or No.
Important: Contact us if you've answered No to any question, or when in doubt.
- Click on Check now, to verify that your device is a genuine Ledger device. Only a genuine Ledger device can provide the cryptographic proof required to connect with Ledger’s secure server.
This process might take a few moments.
- Click on Continue once you see: Your device is genuine.
Choose an optional password that unlocks the application to enhance your privacy. You should set a password if others have access to your computer.
- Click on Skip this step if you do not want to set a password.
- Enter your password in the New password field.
- Enter your password again in the Confirm password field.
- Click on Continue.
Make sure to remember your password. Losing it requires resetting Ledger Live and re-adding your accounts. This does not affect your crypto assets.
Besides mandatory technical data, you can choose which anonymous data to share with Ledger to help improve the quality of our products and services. By opting in, Ledger will automatically collect this data. You can decide to opt-out at any time in the application settings.
- Select which optional data to share:
- Analytics: Enable analytics of usage data to help Ledger improve the user experience.
- Bug reports: Send automatic bug reports when the application crashes to help improve its stability.
- Click on Continue.
- Click on Open Ledger Live to open the application.
Tip: Click on the Ledger Logo if you like confetti.
To set up another device, restart the Device setup process from the Help tab in the settings.