Ledger Blue firmware update currently not available
The Ledger Blue firmware update is currently not available. Please submit a support ticket if you're negatively affected by this. We apologize for the inconvenience.
The Ledger Blue update to firmware version 2.1.1 includes security improvements, optimized app storage use and increased app support, as well as user experience improvements.
Check our frequently asked questions about the firmware update for troubleshooting tips in case of trouble.
Before you start
- Take out your 24-word recovery phrase. Your device has to be restored after the update. This does not affect your crypto assets, which are secured in the blockchain.
- Make sure that Ledger Live is installed on your computer.
Step by step instructions
If your Ledger Blue is:
- Already in use: go to Step 1.
- New and uninitialized: skip Step 1 and go directly to Step 2.
Step 1 - Reset your device
- Connect the Ledger Blue to your computer using the USB cable.
- Press the button on the device to turn it on.
- Enter three wrong PIN codes to reset the device.
- Press and hold the side button until Power off device is displayed.
- Tap Power off to confirm.
- Continue to Step 2 below.
Step 2 - Boot in recovery mode
- Press and hold the side button until Boot Options is displayed.
- Tap Recovery Mode. Wait until the dashboard appears.
Step 3 - Uninstall all apps
- Launch Ledger Live on your computer.
- Click on the APPLICATIONS tab.
- Click on the grey trash icon for all apps currently installed on the Ledger Blue. This makes room for the firmware installer.
Note: Your funds are not affected by this operation, the private keys to access your crypto assets in the blockchain remain secured on your Recovery sheet.
Step 4 - Download and install update
- Click on the FIRMWARES tab.
- Click on the green INSTALL button for version 2.1.1.
- My Ledger will now display the installation screen while the updater is installed on the device.
Note: retry updating at a later moment if the update fails at this stage.
Step 5 - Proceed with firmware update
The Ledger Blue will now display the Update Firmware screen.
- Verify that the identifiers shown on both the Ledger Blue and My Ledger are the same.
- Verify that the firmware Version is 2.1.1.
- Tap UPDATE to continue. The OS updater will now be installed.
- The Ledger Blue will display MCU firmware upgrade needed and the My Ledger will indicate To begin, connect your Ledger Wallet.
Step 6 - Reboot in bootloader mode
- Press and hold the button for 10 seconds to turn off the device.
- Release the button.
- Press and hold the button for at least 5 seconds until the Boot Options are displayed.
- Tap Bootloader mode.
- My Ledger will display Restoring MCU and the device will automatically turn off.
- Press the power button and release once the device turns on. The device now displays the OS Updater and Processing... screens. This procedure may take a few minutes. Please be patient during the update.
Step 7 - Restore your configuration
The firmware of your Ledger Blue is successfully updated.
- For a Ledger Blue in use: Restore your device to recover your accounts.
- For a new Ledger Blue: Initialize your device to get started.
- Check our frequently asked questions in case you encounter an issue.
- Contact Ledger Support in case your problem is still not solved.