Ledger products have a combination of hardware and software security features to protect your crypto assets from potential attacks. Follow the guidelines below to benefit from the optimal level of security offered by your Ledger Nano S device.
Secure your PIN code
During the setup process you choose a PIN code.
- Always choose a PIN code by yourself.
- Always enter your PIN code out of sight.
- Change your PIN code if needed. Learn more
- Remember that three wrong PIN code entries in a row will reset the device.
- Never use an easy PIN code like 0000, 123456, or 55555555.
- Never share your PIN code with anyone else.
- Never use a PIN code you did not choose yourself.
- Never store your PIN code on a computer or phone.
Secure your 24-word recovery phrase
Your 24-word recovery phrase is the only backup of your private keys. It allows you to restore the private keys providing access to your crypto assets in case you lose access to your Ledger device. The recovery phrase is sometimes called (mnemonic) seed.
Anyone who gets your recovery phrase can take your crypto assets. Ledger does not store your private keys, nor ever asks for it.
- Always ensure your 24-word recovery phrase is obtained from the device screen.
- Always double-check the spelling and list position of each recovery phrase word.
- Keep your Recovery sheet physically secure to make sure you can’t lose or destroy it by accident.
- Always store the copies of the recovery phrase in secure locations, out of sight.
- Never ever share your 24-word recovery phrase, in any form, with anyone.
- Never enter your recovery phrase on any device other than your hardware wallet.
- Never take a picture of the 24-word recovery phrase.
- Maximize your account security with a passphrase (advanced users).
- Contact Ledger Support in case you require assistance.