Restore a Ledger Nano S device from your recovery phrase to restore, replace or backup your Ledger hardware wallet. The Ledger Nano S will recover the private keys backed up by your confidential recovery phrase.
Set up as a new device to generate new private keys and write down a new recovery phrase.
Learn more >
What you need
- Ledger Nano S with the supplied micro-USB cable.
- The recovery phrase to restore private keys from. BIP39/BIP44 recovery phrases are supported.
- A computer with at least Windows 8 (64-bit), macOS 10.8, or Linux.
- The Ledger Live application downloaded and installed.
Ledger Live features interactive setup instructions. Simply open the app to get started.
- Connect the Ledger Nano S to your computer using the supplied USB cable. Your device should display Welcome to Ledger Nano S. If you are setting up your device for the very first time, please contact us if the device immediately asks for a PIN code. It may not be safe to continue using this device.
- Press the left or right button to navigate through the on-screen instructions.
- Press both buttons simultaneously to choose the option Restore from recovery phrase.
- Press both buttons when Choose PIN code is displayed on the device.
- Press the right or left button to choose the first digit of your PIN code.
- Press both buttons to enter a digit.
- Repeat the process until you've entered 4 to 8 digits.
- Select the checkmark (✓) and press both buttons to confirm the PIN code.
Usethe backspace icon to erase a digit.
- Confirm your PIN code by entering it once more.
- Choose the length of your recovery phrase (12, 18 or 24 words). Press both buttons to validate.
- Press both buttons when Enter word #1 is displayed.
- Enter the first letters of word #1 by selecting them with the right or left button. Press both buttons to validate each letter.
- Choose Word #1 from the suggested words. Press both buttons to validate it.
- Repeat the process until the last word of your recovery phrase. To correct a mistake, you can restart from a previous word from the suggested words menu.
- Your device will display Processing and then Your device is now ready once you've successfully restored your private keys.
- Press both buttons to access the Dashboard. The Dashboard is where you can access the apps and settings on your device.
- Make sure the correct recovery phrase length is selected. Always enter all words of a recovery phrase.
- Verify that the order of the words entered on the device matches the order on your Recovery sheet.
- Check that all the words of your recovery phrase are on the BIP39 word list.