Frequently asked questions about the Ledger Nano S firmware update are answered below. For step by step instructions, please refer to our update guide.
Device stuck on Bootloader, MCU firmware is not genuine or Follow device repair instructions.
If this concerns you, closely follow the steps described below. Please only install the pre-release of Ledger Live version 1.3.2 if you are having trouble finalizing your firmware update. It will become available later as an automatic update to existing Ledger Live installations.
- Download Ledger Live version 1.3.2 for your platform: Windows, macOS or Linux.
- Open the file you just downloaded to install it. Your settings will be preserved.
- Start Ledger Live.
- Open the device repair tool: Settings > Help > Repair your Ledger device.
- Connect your Ledger Nano S and check the message it displays.
- In Ledger Live, select the corresponding case and click Repair. The repair process will start.
- If the loader is at 100% and the device stays stuck on Bootloader:
- Windows/Linux: Restart Ledger Live by pressing CTRL + R. Then start the repair tool once more.
- MacOS: Restart Ledger Live by pressing ⌘ + R. Then start the repair tool once more.
Ledger Manager API performance
Our HSM infrastructure is under a heavy load, and response times are very high. Please allow up to 2 minutes to get a response from a request to the Ledger Manager API. Requests are processed by a queue, best outcome is to wait (if you restart, you'll be pushed back to the end of the queue). Thank you for your patience.
Please note that Ledger Live is not supported on Windows 7. If the solutions provided below do not solve your problem, we cannot provide any further support unless you try on a supported platform (macOS 10.9 (64-bit), Windows 8 (64-bit) or Linux Ubuntu 16.10).
How to fix a blank screen in Ledger Live on Windows 7?
Some users have reported that rebooting their computer in Safe mode with networking allowed them to update their Ledger Nano S. Learn more here. Ledger cannot provide any other solution.
Windows doesn't recognize the device. How to fix this?
- Open Devices and Printers from Control Panel.
- Double-click Nano S and open the Hardware tab.
- Select USB Input Device and click Properties.
- Click Change Settings.
- Click the Driver tab.
- Click Update driver and select automatic driver selection.
- Repeat this for both USB Input Devices.
Is it possible to downgrade the firmware?
No. For security reasons, it is not possible to downgrade the firmware of your Ledger Nano S.
Why didn't my Ledger Nano S prompt to check the Identifier?
Three screens are shown in an automated loop. If the right button is pressed before the other screens are shown, the update will be installed before you could have checked the identifier. As long as the update is fully installed you can continue using your device.
Will I need my 24-word recovery phrase for the update?
No, starting from firmware version 1.3.1, firmware updates do not require the recovery phrase to be restored. However, as a precaution make sure your 24 recovery words are properly backed-up and securely stored before starting the update.
Does the update affect my crypto assets?
The private keys on your device are fully backed up by the 24-word recovery phrase. As long as your Recovery sheet is securely stored, there is no risk to your assets.
How to update a Ledger Nano S?
Please refer to our update guide for step by step instructions.
Do I need to update my Ledger Nano S?
Updating your Ledger Nano S is strongly recommended. It included security improvements as well as new features.
What changes are included in the update?
Please refer to our blog post.
Do I have to update my Ledger Nano S if I am not using it?
We recommend regularly updating your devices to benefit from the optimal security level and user experience offered by our products.