The update to firmware version 1.5.5 includes security improvements and additional functionality for the Ledger Nano S. Please check our blog post for more details and our Update FAQ for troubleshooting tips.
It is currently not possible to update your Ledger Nano S firmware directly from version 1.3.1 to 1.5.5 with the latest Ledger Live version (1.8.0). You can, however, install the previous Ledger Live version (1.7.0) to perform the update. This version is available here.
We are currently working on a new version of Ledger Live, which will resolve this issue. Our apologies for the inconvenience and we thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind you that you should have written down the 24-word recovery phrase on your Recovery sheet when you set up your device. If you indeed have your recovery phrase, you can rest assured: you can always restore your private keys on another Ledger hardware wallet to recover access to your crypto assets.
Before you start
- Restart Ledger Live to make sure you're running its latest version. If a blue notification banner appears, click Update.
- If you're still on 1.4.1 you'll first have to update to 1.4.2, before updating to 1.5.5.
- Uninstall all apps from your device. This does not affect your crypto assets.
As many users are updating their device, it may take a few minutes to connect to our HSM server.
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Click Manager in the main menu.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device.
- Click on the blue Update button that appears if a firmware update is available.
- Click Continue after reading the release notes. Your device will display Processing...
- Your device will show update firmware, the version number, and an Identifier in a loop.
- Verify that the Identifier in Ledger Live matches the one on your Ledger device.
- Press the right button on your device to start the update.
- Enter your PIN code to confirm. Your device will restart.
- Disconnect the USB cable when your device displays either Follow device update instructions or Update, depending on the version you are updating from.
- Press the left button on your device and hold it while you reconnect the USB cable.
Release the button once Bootloader is displayed.
- The update process will continue automatically. Ledger Live will display multiple progress loaders, while your Ledger Nano S displays Bootloader, Update and Processing. Your device is successfully updated once Ledger Live displays Firmware updated.
Our HSM infrastructure is under a heavy load, and response times are very high. Please allow up to 2 minutes to get a response from a request to the Ledger Manager API. Requests are processed by a queue, best outcome is to wait (if you restart, you'll be pushed back to the end of the queue). Thank you for your patience.
Please check our Update FAQ for troubleshooting tips.
After the update
- You've successfully updated your Ledger Nano S firmware. You can now re-install apps on your device.
- If your PIN code has less than 8 digits, you can type in your PIN code as usual, and use the right or left button until you reach a checkmark (✓). Then, confirm by pressing both buttons.