The update to firmware version 1.5.5 includes security improvements and additional functionality for the Ledger Nano S. Please check our blog post for more details.
Before you start
- Ensure you're running Ledger Live version 1.3 (Settings > About) on a supported platform.
To update, restart Ledger Live and click Update in the blue notification banner.
- A few users using firmware version 1.4.1 will first have to update to 1.4.2, before updating to 1.5.5.
- Uninstall all apps from your device. This does not affect your crypto assets.
Please be patient
As many users are updating their device, it may take a few minutes to connect to our HSM server.
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Click Manager in the main menu.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device.
- Click on the blue Update button that appears if a firmware update is available.
- Click Continue after reading the release notes. Your device will display Processing...
- Your device will show update firmware, the version number, and an Identifier in a loop.
- Verify that the Identifier in Ledger Live matches the one on your Ledger device.
- Press the right button on your device to start the update.
- Enter your PIN code to confirm. Your device will restart.
- Disconnect the USB cable when your device displays either Follow device update instructions or Update, depending on the version you are updating from.
- Press the left button on your device and hold it while you reconnect the USB cable.
Release the button once Bootloader is displayed.
- The update process will continue automatically. Ledger Live will display multiple progress loaders, while your Ledger Nano S displays Bootloader, Update and Processing. Your device is successfully updated once Ledger Live displays Firmware updated.
Please be patient while the process may take a few minutes. Do not disconnect the device at this stage.
- Stuck on Update: Restart Ledger Live and open Manager. The update will resume.
- MCU firmware not genuine: hold the right button while reconnecting the device to boot in Recovery mode. Open Manager once on the dashboard. Click on update and follow instructions.
- MCU firmware outdated, Follow device repair instructions or Bootloader:
- Restart Ledger Live.
- Go to Settings > Help > Repair and follow instructions.
Check our update FAQ for more troubleshooting tips.
After the update
- You've successfully updated your Ledger Nano S firmware. You can now re-install apps on your device.
- If your PIN code has less than 8 digits, you can type in your PIN code as usual, and use the right or left button until you reach a checkmark (✓). Then, confirm by pressing both buttons.