The update to firmware version 1.5.5 includes security improvements and additional functionality for the Ledger Nano S. Please check our blog post for more details and our Update FAQ for troubleshooting tips.
As a reminder, you should have written down the 24-word recovery phrase on your Recovery sheet when you set up your device. Your recovery phrase allows you to restore your private keys on another Ledger hardware wallet to recover access to your crypto assets.
Before you start
- Uninstall all apps from your device. This does not affect your crypto assets.
- Restart Ledger Live desktop or download the latest version from ledger.com/live. The mobile app does not support firmware updates.
- If you're still on firmware version 1.4.1 the update process will automatically install 1.4.2 first, after which you can update to version 1.5.5.
- Firmware versions 1.1 and 1.2 cannot be updated with Ledger Live. Please check the firmware version before submitting a support request to get a replacement device.
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Click Manager on the main menu.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device.
- Click on the blue Update button that appears if a firmware update is available.
- Click Continue after reading the release notes. Your device will display Processing...
- Your device will show update firmware, the version number, and an Identifier in a loop.
- Verify that the Identifier in Ledger Live matches the one on your Ledger device.
- Press the right button on your device to start the update.
- Enter your PIN code to confirm. Your device will restart.
- Disconnect the USB cable when your device displays either Follow device update instructions or Update, depending on the version you are updating from.
- Press the left button on your device and hold it while you reconnect the USB cable.
Release the button once Bootloader is displayed.
- The update process will continue automatically. Ledger Live will display multiple progress loaders, while your Ledger Nano S displays Bootloader, Update and Processing. Your device is successfully updated once Ledger Live displays Firmware updated.
Please check our Update FAQ for troubleshooting tips.
After the update
- If your device displays Welcome and usage instructions it has been reset. Press the left button at Configure as new device and the right button at Restore a configuration. Then enter your 24-word recovery phrase to restore your private keys.
- You've successfully updated your Ledger Nano S firmware. You can now re-install apps on your device.
- If your PIN code has less than 8 digits, you can type in your PIN code as usual, and use the right or left button until you reach a checkmark (✓). Then, confirm by pressing both buttons.