Important Nano S Update
With the recent release of the Nano S Plus, the Nano S will soon be retired. If you are a Ledger Nano S owner, we will continue to support Nano S device maintenance, new features, critical bugs, and other vulnerability fixes. The latest firmware version is 2.1.0. Learn more >
Set up your Ledger Nano S as a new device to get started. Your device will generate new private keys providing access to your crypto assets. You'll also write down your unique 24-word recovery phrase, the only backup of your private keys.
Restore your device from a recovery phrase to recover the private keys linked to an existing recovery phrase. Learn more >
What you need
- Ledger Nano S with the supplied micro USB cable.
- For mobile users, it's recommended to use a device that is equipped with Android 8.1 or above. Please note that it's not possible to connect a Ledger Nano S device to an iPhone for the moment.
- For desktop users, the following operating systems are supported: Windows 10 or 11, macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey, macOS Ventura, and Ubuntu LTS 20.04 or 22.04 (64-bit versions only, excluding ARM processors).
- The Ledger Live application downloaded and installed.
Step by step
Ledger Live features interactive setup instructions. Simply open the app to get started.
- Connect the Ledger Nano S to your computer using the supplied USB cable. Your device should display Welcome to Ledger Nano S. Please contact us if the device immediately asks for a PIN code. It may not be safe to continue using this device.
- Press the left or right button to navigate through the on-screen instructions.
- Press both buttons simultaneously to choose the option Set up as new device.
- Press both buttons when Choose PIN code is displayed on the device.
- Press the right or left button to choose the first digit of your PIN code.
- Press both buttons to enter a digit.
- Repeat the process until you've entered 4 to 8 digits.
- Select the checkmark (✓) and press both buttons to confirm the PIN code.
Use the backspace icon to erase a digit.
- Confirm your PIN code by entering it once more.
Your 24-word recovery phrase will now be displayed word by word on the Ledger Nano S screen. The recovery phrase is the only backup of your private keys. It will be displayed only once.
- Take the blank Recovery sheet supplied in the box.
- Write down the first word (Word #1) on the Recovery sheet. Verify that you have copied it correctly in position 1.
- Press the right button to move to the second word (Word #2). Write it in position 2 on the Recovery sheet. Verify that you've copied it correctly. Repeat the process until the twenty-fourth word (Word #24).
- Press both buttons to Confirm your recovery phrase.
- Select the requested word by navigating with the left or right button. Validate the word by pressing both buttons. Repeat this step for each requested word.
- Your device will display Processing and then Your device is now ready once you've successfully completed the setup process.
- Press both buttons to access the Dashboard. The Dashboard is where you can access the apps and settings on your device.
When a user first receives their Ledger wallet, it must always be initialised by following this process:
- Powering on the device
- Generating a pin code
- Generating 24 words
If a user were to receive a device containing a pre-completed recovery phrase or a pin code, the user should not use the device, as it means that the device may have already been used by somebody else. Ledger will never provide a pin code or recovery phrase with the product, nor ever ask for them. Under these circumstances, the user must contact Ledger customer support.