Initialize your Ledger Nano S device to get started. The device will generate new private keys that manage your crypto assets. Alternatively, restore a configuration to recover the private keys linked to an existing recovery phrase.
- a Ledger Nano S with the supplied micro USB cable;
- a computer (at least Windows 8 (64-bit), macOS 10.8, or Linux) with internet;
- The Ledger Live application downloaded and installed.
It is recommended to start Ledger Live that guides you through the process described below.
- Connect the Ledger Nano S to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Read the instructions on the screen. Press both buttons simultaneously to proceed.
- Press the right button located above the validation icon when Configure as new device? is displayed.
- Firmware version 1.3 or higher requires a PIN code between 4 and 8 digits long.
- Firmware version 1.2 or lower requires a 4-digit PIN code.
To set your PIN
- Press both buttons when Choose a PIN is displayed on the device.
- Press the right or left button to choose the first digit of your PIN code.
- Press both buttons to select the digit.
- Repeat the process until all digits of your PIN code are selected.
- Select the check icon (✓) and press both buttons to confirm the pincode.
Your 24-word recovery phrase will now be displayed word by word on the Ledger Nano S screen. Be careful, your recovery phrase will be displayed only once.
- Take the blank Recovery sheet supplied in the box.
- Write down the first word (Word #1) on the Recovery sheet. Verify that you have copied it correctly in position 1.
- Press the right button to move to the second word (Word #2). Write it in position 2 on the Recovery sheet. Verify that you've copied it correctly.
- Repeat the process until the twenty-fourth word (Word #24). Confirm your recovery phrase will be shown on the screen after word 24.
- Select the requested word by navigating with the left or right button. Validate the word by pressing both buttons. Repeat this step for each requested word.
- Your device is now ready is shown once you've successfully completed the initialization.
Tip: Install the Recovery Check app to verify your recovery phrase again.