The Ledger Blue
The Ledger Blue features an LED-backlit color touch-screen, a lipo rechargeable battery, and a USB port. There is a power button on the device, you can therefore turn on your Ledger Blue without connecting it to a computer. The device can be connected to a computer or a smartphone through a USB cable. In order to make the Ledger Blue compatible with all USB ports, you can use an On-The-Go Adapter.
Attention Ledger Blue users: Please note that Ledger Blue is no longer supported by Ledger. It is important to be aware of this fact as some listings on third-party websites like eBay may falsely advertise it as a premium crypto wallet. We apologize for any confusion this may cause and encourage you to consider upgrading to one of our newer, supported devices for optimal security and ease of use.
Download Ledger Live, the companion app to your Ledger Blue device to get started.
- Press the power button on the side of the device.
- If there is no battery left, connect your Ledger Blue device to a computer or a wall socket.
You can now choose:
- To configure your Ledger Blue as a new device with an original seed
- To restore a previous configuration
- - If you want to create a new seed, select “Configure as new device”
- If you want to import a seed that you already have, select “Restore Configuration”
- Choose a PIN code. Depending on the firmware you have, the number of digits can vary.
- In order for the PIN code to be validated, the 24 words must be validated as well.
24-Word recovery phrase
The 24 words (also called the ‘seed’ or the ‘recovery phrase’) will be displayed 4 at a time. You must carefully write down each word on the recovery sheet, in the order displayed on the screen. Please note that the 24 words are only shown once during initialisation. This stage is crucial, as the 24 words constitute the proof of ownership of the account, as well as the backup of your funds.
- Find the Recovery Sheet, which is placed in the Ledger Blue box.
- You must write down the 24 words on the Recovery Sheet, in the correct order. Start by writing down the first word (Word #1). Please ensure correct spelling of the word before proceeding to the next one.
- Write down the second word (Word #2) on the Recovery Sheet. Please ensure correct spelling of the word before proceeding to the next one.
- Write down the third word (Word #3) on the Recovery Sheet. Please ensure correct spelling of the word before proceeding to the next one.
- Repeat the previous step until you have written down all the 24 words.
Before proceeding, you should check the words on the Recovery Sheet, to ensure correct order and spelling. Please note that this step is an important safety measure.
The 24 words:
- Ensure that you are the only person who can access your funds.
- Can recover your funds if you lose your Ledger Blue device.
- Are only shown once during initialisation.
- Validate the 24 words on your Ledger Blue, through a confirmation process.
PLEASE STORE THE RECOVERY SHEET IN A SAFE LOCATION. THE RECOVERY SHEET PROVIDES DIRECT ACCESS TO YOUR FUNDS.
IF YOU LOSE YOUR 24 WORDS, YOU WILL LOSE ACCESS TO YOUR FUNDS.
NEVER SHARE YOUR 24 WORDS WITH ANYONE. DO NOT SAVE THEM ON YOUR COMPUTER OR ON YOUR SMARTPHONE. PLEASE ENSURE THAT THE 24 WORDS ARE SAFELY STORED.
When your Ledger Blue displays “Your device is now ready”, your device has been configured.
Applications on your Ledger Blue
A multi-application device
You can install and uninstall several applications such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP and many others (altcoins, authentication, etc.). Some of them are provided by Ledger and some by other companies.
By default, there are already some applications installed on the Ledger Blue:
- FIDO U2F
These applications can be removed or replaced. You can add new applications through the Ledger Manager, which acts as a free app store to download and delete your applications.
Note that your Ledger Blue can hold up to 8 applications at the same time. Moreover, these can be changed on an on-going basis through the Ledger Manager. Removing an application does not mean that you lose your coins. Once the coin application has been reinstalled, you will be able to see your balance and undertake transactions again.
Ledger Applications on your computer
Third-Party Applications on your computer
There are also additional applications not provided by Ledger but by third-parties, that can be used with the Ledger Blue. Your private keys remain securely held by the Ledger device, while undertaking transactions on these applications.
Follow the guide to install and use the wallet:
- Ethereum (multiple addresses and accounts)
- Ethereum Classic (multiple addresses and accounts)
- Expanse (multiple addresses and accounts)
- All ERC20 tokens (multiple addresses and accounts) like Expanse (EXP), Golem (GNT), Iconomi (ICN), Augur (REP) and hundreds of tokens.
Follow the guide to install and use it:
To use this wallet, the companion application on your Ledger device must have the “browser support” option set on NO. Follow the guide to install and use it:
How to use your Ledger Blue on Android, with Mycelium.
To use this wallet, the companion application on your Ledger Blue must have the “browser support” option set on NO. Follow the guide to install and use it:
To use this wallet, the companion application on your Ledger Blue must have the “browser support” option set on YES. Follow the guide to install and use it: