This tutorial explains how to connect your Ledger to the Coinbase Base (BASE) network using MetaMask. Learn more about the Base network here.
Creating Base accounts on the Base network with your Ledger device is also supported in Ledger Live desktop, click here to learn more.
Before you start
- Make sure to update Ledger Live to the latest version via this link.
- Open Ledger Live and connect your Ledger device to My Ledger to ensure that your device is running the latest firmware version.
- Ensure that the latest version of the Ethereum (ETH) app is installed on your Ledger device.
- Once you're all done, close Ledger Live as it can conflict with Metamask.
Connect your Ledger to Base network via MetaMask.
- Follow these steps to install MetaMask in your browser and connect your Ledger device to MetaMask.
- Once you've completed the setup, go to chainlist.org.
- On chainlist.org, click Connect Wallet, make sure your Ledger account is selected and then click on Next.
- Confirm connecting MetaMask to Chainlist by clicking Connect.
- Once connected, type 'Base' into the search bar. Click Add to MetaMask and then click Approve to finalize the connection of MetaMask to the Base network.
- Click Switch network to finalize connecting MetaMask to the Base network.
You're all set! Now, return to MetaMask and ensure it's properly connected to Base. The word Base should appear in the network section. You can now use your address to send ETH, BASE tokens, and other ERC20 tokens to your Ledger account on the Base network.
When withdrawing from an exchange like Coinbase to your Ledger account on Base, ensure you select the Base network. Learn more about this here.