- Note that your 24-word recovery phrase provides full access to your accounts. Entering your recovery phrase on a computer or smartphone may be insecure. Avoid doing so if possible.
- Carefully select a (third-party) hardware or software wallet. Protecting your accounts remains your own responsibility.
- Contact Ledger Support when in doubt.
- Choose a BIP39/BIP44 compatible hardware wallet or software wallet.
- Get your 24-word recovery phrase.
- Follow the manual of the selected device or service to import your recovery phrase (also referred to as mnemonic seed).
Compatible Ledger devices
Arbitrary list of third-party software wallets
Software wallet security
Software wallets are highly insecure, have not been subjected to a security audit by Ledger and they should only be used for recovery as a last resort. If you proceed to use one of the software wallets below, you accept the responsibility for any possible outcome.
Advanced users can manually generate all private keys using software such as Ian Coleman's BIP39 tool. Ledger does not endorse any specific tool. Users are recommended to carefully select any other hardware or software wallets they use. Protecting your accounts remains your own responsibility.
Ian Colemans' tool is best downloaded for offline use, as instructed below.
Generate your private keys
- Download the BIP39 tool at the bottom of this article or view the source on GitHub.
- Double-click the downloaded file to open it in a browser.
- Type your 24-word recovery phrase in the field BIP39 Mnemonic. Use lowercase only.
- Type your passphrase if you set one in your Ledger hardware wallet.
- Select a cryptocurrency.
- Leave the field Internal/External at 0.
Import your private keys
- Copy the list of generated private keys from the Derived Addresses section. Use the controls below the list to show more rows or start at a certain index.
- Import your private keys in a third-party wallet that supports this, such as MyEtherWallet or Armory.
- Set the field Internal/External to 1 to generate the private keys of your change addresses.
- Import the private keys associated with your change addresses in the third-party wallet.