FIDO U2F is a two-factor authentication method (2FA) developed by the FIDO Alliance that is supported on the Ledger Nano S and Ledger Nano X devices. It works with several web services, like Facebook, Dashlane, Gmail, Dropbox, GitHub, etc. Check our Fido U2F page to learn more.
- FIDO U2F increases account security as both your password and Ledger device are required to log in.
- FIDO U2F is not related to cryptocurrencies. It's an additional utility for your Ledger device.
When it comes to restoring your recovery phrase on your Ledger hardware wallet, regaining access to your FIDO-protected account is a seamless process. All you have to do is reinstall the Fido U2F app, and you'll be able to access your account again, whether on the same device or a different one you own.
This means that you can set up another Ledger Nano device with the same 24-word recovery phrase and have the same FIDO U2F functionality on the restored or backup device.
Before you start
Step by step
- Open My Ledger in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- If asked, allow My Ledger to access your device.
- Find FIDO U2F in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
- Open FIDO U2F on the dashboard of your device.
- Go to the security settings of web services partnering with FIDO U2F and follow their instructions to register your device: Facebook, Dashlane, Google, GitHub, Dropbox.