This article will help you set up your first Ledger Bitcoin (BTC) account.
The Bitcoin app is developed and supported by Ledger. Check the Bitcoin wallet page to learn more.
Before you start
- Download and install Ledger Live on your computer. You can learn more about how to get started with Ledger Live here.
- Open Ledger Live, connect your Ledger device to the Manager and make sure your Ledger device is running the latest firmware version.
- Update the firmware of your Ledger Nano S / Nano S Plus / Nano X.
Install the Bitcoin (BTC) app on your Ledger device
- Open Ledger Live and navigate to the Manager tab.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- If prompted, allow the manager on your device.
- Search for the Bitcoin (BTC) app in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button to install the app on your Ledger device.
- Your Ledger device displays Processing.
- Ledger Live displays Installed. You're done.
- Create your first Bitcoin (BTC) account in Ledger Live. Learn more.
- Receive BTC into your Bitcoin account. Learn more.
- Send BTC from your Bitcoin account. Learn more.
- Learn more about BTC and the Bitcoin network here.
- Buy BTC directly into your Ledger Bitcoin account through Ledger Live. Learn more here.
How to create different Bitcoin account types
Ledger Live will, by default, create Bitcoin "Native SegWit" accounts. However, there are situations where you might wish to create a different type of Bitcoin account.
Here's how to change the default account type:
- When adding a new Bitcoin account via the Accounts > +Add account button in Ledger Live, toggle Show all address types at step 3 of the process.
- Select your desired account(s) type:
Native SegWit accounts create Bitcoin deposit addresses starting with bc1q. Native SegWit accounts offer better protection against typos and are cheaper to spend from compared to SegWit or Legacy accounts.SegWit accounts create Bitcoin deposit addresses starting with a 3. The SegWit upgrade reduced network fees, sped up transaction signing on hardware wallets, and enabled second-layer solutions like the Lightning Network.
Taproot accounts create Bitcoin deposit addresses starting with bc1p. Taproot is the newest Bitcoin account type. You can learn more about Taproot and how to add a Taproot account here.Legacy accounts create Bitcoin deposit addresses starting with a 1. Legacy is the oldest and the least efficient type of Bitcoin account.
Creating a Legacy Bitcoin account in Ledger Live can be useful to receive BTC from crypto exchanges that don't support withdrawing to newer account types like SegWit, Native SegWit or Taproot.
- Click Add account(s).
Bitcoin transactions are public information. Do not re-use your addresses for optimal privacy. Ledger Live automatically generates new addresses and keeps track of your previous ones. Previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.