Install the Bitcoin app on your Ledger hardware wallet to manage Bitcoin (BTC) with Ledger Live. The Bitcoin app is developed and supported by Ledger. Check the Bitcoin wallet page to learn more.
Before you start
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device.
- Find Bitcoin in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
The Bitcoin app can export your extended public key (xpub) to web apps in a U2F compatible web browser (Chrome, Opera or Firefox). The xpub is privacy-sensitive information, as all public addresses can be generated from it.
Public key exports by default require manual approval on the device to prevent inadvertent sharing of your public addresses. This setting can be configured as follows:
- Open the Bitcoin app.
- Navigate to Settings > Public key export approval.
- Choose one of two options:
- Manual approval (default): public key exports require a confirmation on the device.
- Auto approval: public key exports are automatically approved.
Native SegWit addresses start with bc1. These are bech32 addresses that offer better protection against typos and are cheaper to spend from on top of the advantages of SegWit addresses.
Legacy addresses start with a 1. This is an older Bitcoin address format. Legacy addresses previously generated using a Ledger hardware wallet will show up when adding an account, but new legacy accounts cannot be added.
Bitcoin transactions are public information. Do not re-use your addresses for optimal privacy. Ledger Live automatically generates new addresses and keeps track of your previous ones. Previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.