Install the Bitcoin app on your Ledger device to manage Bitcoin (BTC) with Ledger Live. The Bitcoin app is developed and supported by Ledger and works on the Ledger Nano S and Ledger Blue devices.
Before you start
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device.
- Find Bitcoin in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
The Bitcoin app can export your extended public key (xpub) to web apps in a U2F compatible web browser (Chrome, Opera or Firefox). The xpub is privacy-sensitive information, as all public addresses can be generated from it.
Public key exports by default require manual approval on the device to prevent inadvertent sharing of your public addresses. This setting can be configured as follows:
- Open the Bitcoin app.
- Navigate to Settings > Public key export approval.
- Choose one of two options:
- Manual approval (default): public key exports require a confirmation on the device.
- Auto approval: public key exports are automatically approved.
Legacy addresses start with a 1. This is Bitcoin's original address format. The option to add legacy addresses in Ledger Live is planned.
SegWit addresses start with a 3. The SegWit upgrade reduces network fees, speeds up transaction signing on hardware wallets, and enables second-layer solutions like Lightning Network. By default, new accounts added in Ledger Live are SegWit accounts.
Bech32 addresses start with bc1. These are native SegWit addresses that feature safety and security improvements. This address format will be implemented in Ledger Live.
Bitcoin transactions are public information. Do not re-use your addresses for optimal privacy. Ledger Live automatically generates new addresses and keeps track of your previous ones. Previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.
View Bitcoin wallet page to learn more about Bitcoin.