This article will help you set up your first Ledger Zcash (ZEC) account.
The Zcash app is developed and supported by Ledger. Check the Zcash wallet page to learn more about ZEC.
getVarint transaction error
- If you're affected by the "getVarint called with unexpected parameters" error:
- Please try the following steps:
- Update Ledger Live to the latest version via this link.
- You are running the latest firmware on your Ledger device.
- Make sure you have the latest Zcash app installed on your Ledger device.
- If the issue persists, the problem is probably that you are trying to spend outputs that have been received through transaction version 4 or lower. Learn more.
- You can find the transaction version by checking your past received transaction in a Zcash explorer.
Before you start
- Download and install Ledger Live on your computer. You can learn more about how to get started with Ledger Live here.
- Open Ledger Live, connect your Ledger device to My Ledger and make sure your Ledger device is running the latest firmware version.
- If your Ledger device needs a firmware update, please update the firmware of your Ledger Nano S / Nano S Plus / Nano X.
- Install the Bitcoin (BTC) app on your Ledger device (the Zcash app requires it). More on this here.
Install the Zcash (ZEC) app on your Ledger device
- Open Ledger Live and navigate to the My Ledger tab.
- Connect and unlock your Ledger device.
- If asked, allow My Ledger to access your device.
- Search for the Zcash (ZEC) app in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button to install the app on your Ledger device.
- Your Ledger device displays Processing.
- Ledger Live displays Installed.
ZEC app not supported on Ledger Blue
The Zcash app currently does not function on the Ledger Blue. Please submit a support ticket if you're negatively affected by this. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Create your first Zcash (ZEC) account in Ledger Live. Learn more.
- Receive ZEC into your Zcash account. Learn more.
- Send ZEC from your Zcash account. Learn more.
- Learn more about ZEC and the Zcash network here.
The Zcash app can export your extended public key (xpub) to web apps in a U2F compatible web browser (Chrome, Opera or Firefox). The xpub is privacy-sensitive information, as all public addresses can be generated from it.
Public key exports by default require manual approval on the device to prevent inadvertent sharing of your public addresses. This setting can be configured as follows:
- Open the Zcash app.
- Navigate to Settings > Public key export approval.
- Choose one of two options:
- Manual approval (default): public key exports require a confirmation on the device.
- Auto approval: public key exports are automatically approved.
Unshielded addresses start with the letter t. This is Zcash's transparent address format, supported in Ledger Live. When you get a receive address for Zcash, it will be unshielded.
Shielded addresses with the letter z. They can not be created in Ledger Live.
Zcash transactions using unshielded t-addresses are public information. Do not re-use these addresses for optimal privacy. Ledger Live automatically generates new addresses and keeps track of your previous ones. Previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.
- Add your accounts to Portfolio.
- Send or receive crypto assets.