Install the Zcash app on your Ledger device to manage ZEC with Ledger Live. The Zcash app is developed and supported by Ledger and works on the Ledger Nano S and Ledger Blue devices.
Before you start
- Set up Ledger Live with your device.
- Update the firmware on your Ledger device.
- Install the Bitcoin app, as Zcash requires it.
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device.
- Find Zcash in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
The Zcash app can export your extended public key (xpub) to web apps in a U2F compatible web browser (Chrome, Opera or Firefox). The xpub is privacy-sensitive information, as all public addresses can be generated from it.
Public key exports by default require manual approval on the device to prevent inadvertent sharing of your public addresses. This setting can be configured as follows:
- Open the Zcash app.
- Navigate to Settings > Public key export approval.
- Choose one of two options:
- Manual approval (default): public key exports require a confirmation on the device.
- Auto approval: public key exports are automatically approved.
Unshielded addresses start with the letter t. This is Zcash's transparent address format, supported in Ledger Live. When you get a receive address for Zcash, it will be unshielded.
Shielded addresses with the letter z. They can not be created in Ledger Live.
Zcash transactions using unshielded t-addresses are public information. Do not re-use these addresses for optimal privacy. Ledger Live automatically generates new addresses and keeps track of your previous ones. Previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.