Install the Bitcoin Cash app on your Ledger device to manage BCH with Ledger Live. The BCH app is developed and supported by Ledger. Check the Bitcoin Cash wallet page to learn more.
Before you start
- Set up Ledger Live with your device.
- Update the firmware of your Ledger Nano S / Nano S Plus / Nano X.
- Open My Ledger in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- If asked, allow My Ledger to access your device.
- Find Bitcoin Cash in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
The app can export your extended public key (xpub) to web apps in a U2F compatible web browser (Chrome, Opera or Firefox). The xpub is privacy-sensitive information, as all public addresses can be generated from it.
Public key exports by default require manual approval on the device to prevent inadvertent sharing of your public addresses. This setting can be configured as follows:
- Open the Bitcoin Cash app.
- Navigate to Settings > Public key export approval.
- Choose one of two options:
- Manual approval (default): public key exports require a confirmation on the device.
- Auto approval: public key exports are automatically approved.
Most exchanges use the new CashAddr format for their addresses. However, Ledger Live still generates BCH legacy addresses and does not yet support the new CashAddr format:
- To send or receive BCH from a Ledger account to an external account, please use this address converter to convert between the legacy format and the CashAddr format.
Bitcoin Cash transactions are public information. Do not re-use your addresses for optimal privacy. Ledger Live automatically generates new addresses and keeps track of your previous ones. Previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.