Install the Bitcoin Cash app on your Ledger device to manage BCH with Ledger Live. The BCH app is developed and supported by Ledger and works on the Ledger Nano S and Ledger Blue devices.
Before you start
- Set up Ledger Live with your device.
- Update the firmware on your Ledger device.
- Install the Bitcoin app, since Bitcoin Cash requires it.
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device.
- Find Bitcoin Cash in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
The app can export your extended public key (xpub) to web apps in a U2F compatible web browser (Chrome, Opera or Firefox). The xpub is privacy-sensitive information, as all public addresses can be generated from it.
Public key exports by default require manual approval on the device to prevent inadvertent sharing of your public addresses. This setting can be configured as follows:
- Open the Bitcoin Cash app.
- Navigate to Settings > Public key export approval.
- Choose one of two options:
- Manual approval (default): public key exports require a confirmation on the device.
- Auto approval: public key exports are automatically approved.
CashAddr: Ledger does not support the CashAddr address format yet. These addresses look like: bitcoincash:qpm2qsznhks23z7q8cmms6s4cwef74vcwvy22gdx6a, optionally without the bitcoincash:-prefix
SegWit: Do not send BCH to a SegWit address (addresses starting with a 3 or bc1). Recovering these BCH requires highly advanced skills.
Bitcoin Cash transactions are public information. Do not re-use your addresses for optimal privacy. Ledger Live automatically generates new addresses and keeps track of your previous ones. Previous addresses do remain valid, but they don't offer an optimal level of privacy.